Credit Card Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance
Reading up on credit cards? Wondering what’s the best card for me? We’ve helped over one million Canadians answer that exact question. In under 2 minutes, we can help you too.let’s get started!
Do you ever worry about leaving your personal items in your hotel room for the day unattended? Maybe you’ve had a bad experience where someone has actually broken into your room and taken your belongings. If this is the case and you’d like some added protection, you should consider a travel rewards credit card that offers hotel/motel burglary insurance.
What is hotel/motel burglary insurance?
Hotel/motel burglary insurance provides protection—while you’re checked in—for your personal belongings when left unattended in your room. You’ll be reimbursed for items that are taken up to a certain amount determined by your insurance provider.
What’s covered by hotel/motel burglary insurance?
Most personal belongings that are taken in a visible forced entry burglary are eligible to be reimbursed.
What isn’t included in hotel/motel burglary insurance?
Although this is a great insurance on any travel credit card, it does have its limitations.
Some items that may be excluded from your coverage include:
- Travellers cheques
- Credit cards
- Tickets and travel documents
Typically, plans won’t cover losses resulting from:
- Misuse or abuse
- Normal wear and tear
- Mysterious disappearance
- Theft from a vehicle unless it’s locked and there are visible signs of forced entry
- Flood, earthquake, or radioactive contamination
- Hostilities of any kind (including war, invasion, terrorism, rebellion, or insurrection)
- Nuclear reaction, nuclear radiation, or radioactive contamination, any weapon or war employing atomic fission or a radioactive force
- Confiscation by authorities
- Risks of contraband or illegal activity
- Incidental and consequential damages, including bodily injury, property, punitive and exemplary damages, and legal damages
Whether you want cash back or travel points, lounge access benefits or roadside assistance perks - there's a credit card out there that's right for you. Find it in under 2 minutes.let's get started!
How do you make a claim for hotel/motel burglary insurance?
Contact your insurance provider as soon as possible but also note that you may need to report the incident within a set number of days. Some providers may require you to fill out a form or provide additional details surrounding the incident. Typically, you’ll be asked for the following information:
How do you make a price protection claim?
Contact your insurance provider as soon as you recognize a difference in price. You may then be asked to complete a request form, which you’ll need to complete and return within a given time period from date of purchase.
The request may include:
- A copy of the credit card charge slip
- The hotel/motel invoice
- A copy of your account statement showing the cost of the hotel/motel charged to your credit card
- The police report, if obtainable
- Any other information reasonably required by the insurance provider
The devil’s in the details
Hotel/motel burglary insurance is an excellent feature to have on your credit card. It’s important to note what items are eligible to receive coverage and the amount you’ll be reimbursed. Always makes sure you book the accommodations using your credit card and read your provider’s insurance policy.
A wealth of knowledge delivered right to your inbox. From the latest interest rates, to tips on getting the best from your credit cards. It’s all in there.
Travel and Cash
Credit Card Basics
Types of Credit Cards
Types of Rewards Credit Cards
- Credit Card Rental Car Insurance
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance
- Travel Medical Insurance
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Delayed Baggage Insurance
- Lost Luggage Insurance
- Flight Delay Insurance
- Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance
- Purchase Security Insurance
- Price Protection Insurance
- Extended Warranty Insurance