Credit Card Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance
Reading up on credit cards? Wondering what’s the best card for me? In under 60 seconds, CardFinder narrows down your top matches without impacting your credit score, no SIN requiredlet’s get started!
Do you ever worry about leaving your personal items in your hotel room for the day unattended? Maybe you’ve had a bad experience where someone has actually broken into your room and taken your belongings. If this is the case and you’d like some added protection, you should consider a travel rewards credit card that offers hotel/motel burglary insurance.
What is hotel/motel burglary insurance?
Hotel/motel burglary insurance provides protection—while you’re checked in—for your personal belongings when left unattended in your room. You’ll be reimbursed for items that are taken up to a certain amount determined by your insurance provider.
Cash Back Card
Earn 2% Money-Back Rewards on purchases in two 2% Money-Back Categories of your choice, and 0.50% Money-Back Rewards on all other purchases.
Rewards Points Card
Apply now and you could earn up to 30,000 bonus points with the American Express Cobalt® Card
What’s covered by hotel/motel burglary insurance?
Most personal belongings that are taken in a visible forced entry burglary are eligible to be reimbursed.
What isn’t included in hotel/motel burglary insurance?
Although this is a great insurance on any travel credit card, it does have its limitations.
Some items that may be excluded from your coverage include:
- Travellers cheques
- Credit cards
- Tickets and travel documents
Typically, plans won’t cover losses resulting from:
- Misuse or abuse
- Normal wear and tear
- Mysterious disappearance
- Theft from a vehicle unless it’s locked and there are visible signs of forced entry
- Flood, earthquake, or radioactive contamination
- Hostilities of any kind (including war, invasion, terrorism, rebellion, or insurrection)
- Nuclear reaction, nuclear radiation, or radioactive contamination, any weapon or war employing atomic fission or a radioactive force
- Confiscation by authorities
- Risks of contraband or illegal activity
- Incidental and consequential damages, including bodily injury, property, punitive and exemplary damages, and legal damages
Tell us a bit about yourself
Answer some questions so we can personalize our recommendations - this won't impact your credit score
Check your eligibility
We confirm your eligibility with our partner, TransUnion. This will be a ‘soft credit check’ which you can see but lenders cannot
Find your perfect matches
We show you the cards you’re most likely to want and most likely to get
How do you make a claim for hotel/motel burglary insurance?
Contact your insurance provider as soon as possible but also note that you may need to report the incident within a set number of days. Some providers may require you to fill out a form or provide additional details surrounding the incident. Typically, you’ll be asked for the following information:
How do you make a price protection claim?
Contact your insurance provider as soon as you recognize a difference in price. You may then be asked to complete a request form, which you’ll need to complete and return within a given time period from date of purchase.
The request may include:
- A copy of the credit card charge slip
- The hotel/motel invoice
- A copy of your account statement showing the cost of the hotel/motel charged to your credit card
- The police report, if obtainable
- Any other information reasonably required by the insurance provider
The devil’s in the details
Hotel/motel burglary insurance is an excellent feature to have on your credit card. It’s important to note what items are eligible to receive coverage and the amount you’ll be reimbursed. Always makes sure you book the accommodations using your credit card and read your provider’s insurance policy.