Credit Card Delayed Baggage Insurance
Reading up on credit cards? Wondering what’s the best card for me? In under 60 seconds, CardFinder narrows down your top matches without impacting your credit score, no SIN requiredlet’s get started!
Have you ever experienced the pain of arriving at your destination and found out that your bags haven’t arrived? The airline may have notified you it could be an extended period of time before your luggage arrives. Just imagine how frustrating this could be. It’s also costly! You’ll need to replace your clothes and toiletries just to make it through the couple days without your bags. These costs can add up quickly but credit card delayed baggage insurance is here to help! This insurance coverage is typically available with a travel rewards credit card.
What is delayed baggage insurance?
Delayed baggage insurance provides coverage for essential items when your checked baggage is not delivered within a set time frame. This usually includes a maximum reimbursement amount.
View all our picks for the Top Credit Cards for Travel Insurance
American Express Cobalt® Cardcheck eligibility
Apply now and you could earn up to 30,000 bonus points with the American Express Cobalt® Card
Tangerine Money-Back Credit Cardcheck eligibility
Earn an extra 10% back on up to $1,000 in everyday purchases within the first 2 months. Must apply by May 2, 2023. Click “check eligibility” to get an additional $100 Amazon gift card 🎁 upon approval.
CIBC Dividend® Visa Infinite* Cardcheck eligibility
Welcome Offer: Get a first-year annual fee rebate for you and up to three Authorized Users† and 10% cash back for the first 4 statements on net purchases of up to $2,500.†
What is covered under delayed baggage insurance?
Delayed baggage insurance only covers essential items. This can include anything from clothing to your basic toiletries.
What isn’t covered under delayed baggage insurance?
As with most insurance policies, delayed baggage insurance does have limitations you should be aware of when depending on your credit card. Here are some possible exclusions that may be listed in your policy:
- Losses when returning home to your province or territory of residence
- Expenses incurred more than 96 hours after your arrival at the final destination
- Expenses incurred after your luggage is returned to you
- Losses caused by or resulting from any criminal act
- Luggage not checked
- Luggage held, seized, quarantined, or destroyed by a customs or government agency
- Money, securities, credit cards, negotiable instruments, tickets or documents of any nature
What is reimbursed by flight delay insurance?
The cost of all essential expenses you incur as a result of delayed baggage can be reimbursed up to a maximum amount.
Tell us a bit about yourself
Answer some questions so we can personalize our recommendations - this won't impact your credit score
Check your eligibility
We confirm your eligibility with our partner, TransUnion. This will be a ‘soft credit check’ which you can see but lenders cannot
Find your perfect matches
We show you the cards you’re most likely to want and most likely to get
How do you make a flight delay insurance claim?
You should try to notify your insurance provider immediately after the date of the delay. Some insurance policies require your provider within a certain number of days. In most cases you’ll be asked to fill out a claim form or provide details regarding the incident.
You may be required to provide any of the following:
- A copy of the credit card charge slip
- A copy of your account statement showing the charge to your credit card
- Itemized receipts for actual expenses incurred for essential items
- A written statement from the common carrier (for example, an airline) confirming:
• The date and time of the delay
• The date and time your checked luggage was returned to you
• The reason or circumstances surrounding the delay
• Any other information reasonably required by your provider
The devil is in the details
Delayed baggage insurance is a great addition to any credit card. The important things to pay attention to are the length of time your luggage must be delayed in order to receive coverage, the time period you have to make essential purchases, and the amount of coverage. Whichever credit card you choose, be sure to review the insurance policy carefully so you have a good understanding of what’s covered and where you can save money.