Overview of the Scotiabank®* Gold American Express® Card
On eligible grocery stores, restaurants, fast food, and drinking establishments. Includes popular food delivery and food subscriptions3 points/$1
On eligible gas and daily transit. Includes rideshare, buses, taxis, subway, and more1 point/$1
On other purchases
Scotiabank®* Gold American Express® Card details
- Welcome bonus
- earn up to $650 in value in the first 12 months, including up to 40,000 bonus Scene+ points. Must apply by July 1, 2024.
- Annual fee
- Earn 5x points on eligible grocery stores, restaurants, fast food, and drinking establishments. Includes popular food delivery and food subscriptions, 3x points on eligible gas and daily transit. Includes rideshare, buses, taxis, subway, and more, 1x points on other purchases
- Average point value
- Purchase interest rate
- Cash advance interest rate
- Balance transfer interest rate
- Minimum income
- Household income
- Any amount
- Recommended credit score
- American Express
- Card type
Detailed card summary
Benefits & features
- Earn up to $650* in value in the first 12 months, including up to 40,000 bonus Scene+ points.
- You will not pay 2.5% foreign transaction fees on any foreign currency purchases, including online shopping and when travelling abroad. Only the exchange rate applies
- Earn 5X Scene+ points for every $1 CAD spent on eligible grocery stores, restaurants, fast food, and drinking establishments. Includes popular food delivery and food subscriptions
- Earn 3X Scene+ points for every $1 CAD spent on eligible gas and daily transit. Includes rideshare, buses, taxis, subway, and more
- Earn 1X Scene+ point for every $1 spent on every other purchase
How to redeem
Redeem your points against any travel purchase on your statement
How to get approved
- Minimum income $12K/yr
- Household income Any
- Recommended credit score 725+
- You are a permanent Canadian resident and have reached the age of majority in the province in which you live.
Average user score for Scotiabank®* Gold American Express® Card
4.1 | 19 reviews
The credit card is a good one. It offers 4% cashback on eligible items and 1% otherwise. The first year annual fee is waived, so getting 30,000 bonus points is great especially since you need to spend $750 in the first 3 months to achieve the bonus points (definitely possible). Overall a great card. Only downside is that it is not accepted everywhere.
What interested me to applying for this card are the following benefits: 1) 4% return on gas/grocery/dining/entertainment; 2) trip cancellation insurance; 3) rewards can be redeemed for travel related purchases after the fact, I.e. I don’t need to use Scotiabank AMEX travel site to book flight/hotel/car rental. All other bells and whistles are icing on the top. Obviously, the fact that AMEX is not as widely accepted as VISA and MasterCard is the drawback.
Ratehub always has the most current information on all credit card offers. I love the compare feature which I find is really helpful when making a decision on which card is right for me and my family. With the help of Ratehub I easily was able to apply and get approved for The Scotia Bank Gold American Express. The whole application process was easy and very quick. Also I got an immediate approval. The card was shipped in a short time and I was quickly abel to use it for purchases.
The card is pretty good, rewards are flexible but I’m concerned about just the number of merchants that accept Amex. Also take a bit of time to get the bonus but that’s pretty standard. Hoping that I can keep the card for a bit
I love using my gold card to attain miles. The added bonus miles for signing up is a great incentive to use this card for as many purchases as I can in the first 3 months. Love the benefits and the fact that you can also earn scotia rewards points to redeem on items you can actually use (gift cards for example).
This card has great benefits and low rates. I would recommend this to anybody. The process to get the card was very easy as well. This card has great benefits and low rates. I would recommend this to anybody. The process to get the card was very easy as well. This card has great benefits and low rates. I would recommend this to anybody.
The Scotiabank Gold American Express Card earns an honourable mention as one of the best overall travel credit cards for the outstanding benefits it offers to cardholders. This card stands out as a top choice, thanks to its exceptional return on spending and a variety of travel-related perks. This card is particularly useful for those who dine out often, travel, and enjoy entertainment.
- No foreign exchange fee: Save on foreign currency purchases while travelling abroad or shopping online, as this card doesn’t charge the typical 2.5% foreign transaction fee
- Extensive insurance coverage: Enjoy comprehensive travel insurance, including the $1 million travel medical insurance, which lasts for 25 days and is one of the longer coverage periods available on the market
- High return on spending: Earn five points per $1 spent on groceries, restaurants, food delivery, and entertainment – one of the best in class multipliers in the market. Earn three points per $1 spent on gas and transit expenses
- Limited acceptance: American Express isn’t as widely accepted in Canada compared to Visa and Mastercard
- Annual Fee: This card carries an annual fee of $120
- Fixed point values: Although earn rates are high, travel points are always worth one cent per point and you can’t transfer your points to other airline rewards programs like you can with other cards
- Airport lounge access is not free: Although you’ll get a discount on a Priority Pass membership for airport lounge access, lounge visits aren’t included with the card
Savings and reward potential in first 12 months based on the following card usage and offers:
$400 in travel rewards (40,000 bonus Scene+ points) when you spend $1,000 within your first 3 months (to earn 20,000 points) and when you spend $7,500 within your first 12 months (to earn an additional 20,000 points);
$33 in foreign transaction fee savings based on average first year annual foreign spend per account (save the 2.5% foreign transaction fee typically charged by other card issuers);
$247 in travel rewards (24,709 Scene+ points) on everyday purchases based on average annual first year spend on the Account with an average spend of 21% in 5x accelerator and 7% in 3X accelerator categories.
Potential First Year Value = up to $680
Actual savings and rewards earned will depend on individual card usage and eligibility for applicable offers. Conditions apply.
1 Offer Description and Conditions: The 40,000 Bonus Scene+ Points Offer (the “Offer”) applies only to new Scotiabank Gold American Express credit card accounts (“Accounts”) opened by July 1, 2024 and is subject to the conditions below. Offer may be changed, cancelled or extended without notice at any time and cannot be combined with any other offers.
40,000 Bonus Scene+ Point Offer Description and Conditions: To be eligible for 20,000 bonus Scene+ points (the “20,000 Point Bonus”), you must open a new Account by July 1, 2024. and have at least $1,000 in eligible purchases posted to your new Account in the first 3 months of the Account open date. To be eligible for an additional 20,000 bonus Scene+ points (the “Annual 20,000 Point Bonus”), you must have at least $7,500 in eligible purchases posted to your new Account in your first year (12 months) of Account open date. Eligible purchases include purchases (less any refunds, returns or other similar credits) but do not include payments, cash advances (including balance transfers or cash-like transactions), interest, fees or other charges.
The 20,000 Point Bonus will be credited to the primary cardholder’s Scene+ account within approximately 2-3 business days after the qualifying $1,000 in eligible purchases being posted to your Account within the first 3 months of Account open date, provided the Account is open and in good standing. The Annual 20,000 Point Bonus will be credited to the primary cardholder’s Scene+ account within approximately 2-3 business days after you have met the $7,500 annual spend threshold on the Account, provided your Account is open and in good standing. The Account is considered in good standing if it is not past due or over limit and the Cardholder(s) is not in breach of the Revolving Credit Agreement that applies to the Account.
Eligibility and Exclusions: Individuals who are currently or were previously primary or secondary cardholders of a Scotiabank personal credit card in the past 2 years, including those that switch from an existing Scotiabank personal credit card, as well as employees of Scotiabank, are not eligible for the Offer. Subject to the above exclusions, Scotiabank small business credit cardholders are also eligible for the Offer.
Rates and Fees: The current annual fee is $120 for the primary card and $29 for each additional card.
The current preferred annual interest rates for the Account are: 20.99% on purchases and 22.99% on cash advances (including balance transfers and cash-like transactions).
All rates, fees, features and benefits are subject to change.
To qualify for these offers make sure to open a new Scotiabank Gold American Express credit card account by July 1, 2024.
To qualify for the 40,000 bonus Scene+ points offer:
1. Earn 20,000 bonus Scene+ points by making at least $1,000 in everyday eligible purchases in your first 3 months.
2. Plus, for a limited time, you are eligible to earn a 20,000 Scene+ point bonus when you spend at least $7,500 in everyday eligible purchases in your first year.
Once you qualify, we’ll credit your account in 2 instalments:
1. 20,000 bonus Scene+ points will be credited to your account within approximately 2-3 business days following the qualifying $1,000 in net purchases being posted to your Scene+ membership Account in your first 3 months.
2. An additional 20,000 bonus Scene+ points will be credited to your Scene+ membership account within approximately 2-3 business days after you have met the $7,500 annual spend threshold in your first year.
Individuals who are currently or were previously primary or secondary cardholders of a Scotiabank personal credit card in the past 2 years, including those that switch from an existing Scotiabank personal credit card, as well as employees of Scotiabank, are not eligible for this offer.
See terms and conditions below1 for full details.