Types of home insurance
Select the type of home insurance coverage you are looking for and compare personalized quotes from Canada's top providers, for free.
Matt Hands, Business Director, Insurance
Home insurance in Canada comes in many forms.
To begin, there are 3 types of home insurance coverage and they are:
- Comprehensive - The choice for most Canadians that protects the building and its contents from all risks.
- Broad coverage - Covers the structure and contents for direct physical loss, but there are some exclusions like only covering your valuables against specific risks or perils.
- Basic coverage - Otherwise known as named perils, where it only covers you for what you've named as a risk. So, you can name lightning, but if a burglar robs you and you haven't named it, there's no insurance.
Of course, the type of homeowner you are is another factor, they include the following:
- House insurance - for a detached, semi-detached, or row house.
- Condo insurance - for buildings with self-contained units, also known as strata in B.C.
- Renters insurance - if you rent, yes there is insurance designed to protect you and your valuables
- Rental property insurance - If you're a landlord, you'll want to use this insurance.
- Vacation property insurance - calling all cottagers and snowbirds, this insurance is for you.
Within each of those policies, there are different types of home insurance coverage depending on several factors including the location of the property and its propensity for earthquakes, floods, or theft.
Whatever type of home insurance policy you get, we'll help walk you through each with tips and tricks so you can select the best coverage to suit your needs.
Step 1: Share some information
Tell us a little about yourself and your coverage needs
Step 2: Compare quotes
We instantly show you dozens of quotes side-by-side from top providers
Step 3: Save money
Choose your quote and secure your insurance rate online, or via one of our licensed brokers
Rental property insurance
Vacation property insurance
Are you getting the best price for your home insurance?
Matt started his professional career at CARPROOF where he honed his marketing and analytical skills for over 3 years. Matt then took his wealth of experience to Ratehub.ca’s Toronto offices, working with insurance providers, agents, and brokers to grow and expand the Insurance business unit. He is a thought leader in the community and a valuable insurance resource to respected publications like the Globe & Mail, Toronto Star, Huffington Post, Yahoo News, and 680 news radio in Toronto.read linkedin bio
How much does insurance cost for an electric car?
57% of Canadians may have missed out on car insurance discounts (survey)
Journey to G – an Ontario driver’s guide to becoming fully licensed
Is mortgage life insurance mandatory in Canada?
Ratehub Inc. launches home and auto insurance brokerage
Is accident forgiveness insurance worth the cost?
Loss of use − the coverage you thought was standard
We help you find better financial products for your specific needs. Whether you need a mortgage, credit card, savings account, or insurance coverage, we get you the information you need to choose better.
How does Ratehub.ca make money?
Financial institutions pay us for connecting them with customers. This could be through advertisements, or when someone applies or is approved for a product. However, not all products we list are tied to compensation for us. Our industry leading education centres and calculators are available 24/7, free of charge, and with no obligation to purchase. To learn more, visit our About us page.
Type of home insurance
- Toronto home insurance
- Vancouver home insurance
- Montreal home insurance
- Calgary home insurance
- Winnipeg home insurance
- Brampton home insurance
- Burnaby home insurance
- Edmonton home insurance
- Fredericton home insurance
- Halifax home insurance
- Hamilton home insurance
- Mississauga home insurance
- Moncton home insurance
- Regina home insurance
- Saskatoon home insurance
- St. John's home insurance
- Victoria home insurance
- Windsor home insurance