Matt Hands, VP, Insurance and MoneySense
Onlia insurance is a fully digital insurance company. As a relative newcomer, they’re at the forefront of insurance technology (Insuretech) with cool and useful tools that reward you to be a better driver and take a proactive approach to a well-maintained home.
They currently offer tenant, condo, home, and car insurance in Ontario.
In June of 2021, they began offering group auto insurance available to employees at a company that signs onto their program.
Step 1: Share some information
Start by telling us a little about yourself and your insurance coverage needs.
Step 2: Compare the rates
We'll show you how Onlia insurance quotes stack up against other top insurers.
Step 3: Enjoy the savings
Whether its Onlia insurance or another insurer, you can choose the best rate for you.
Onlia insurance launched in 2017 with a mission of creating safer roads and bringing the antiquated insurance industry into the 21st century. If you’re at all concerned about signing up to these newfangled promises, know that they’re backed by respected industry leaders who have endured over 200 years with $200 billion in assets.
Officially, Onlia is a joint venture between Achmea, the largest insurance group in the Netherlands and a Candian financial holding company in Fairfax financial. Their insurance products are underwritten by Verassure Insurance Company.
Onlia allows you to buy insurance on the spot (i.e. online) and get driving tomorrow without the hassle of paperwork or sales-y phone calls.
In 2018, Onlia car insurance launched Onlia Sense, a telematics-based program that provides a safe driving coach with real-time updates on your driving behaviour. The unique part about this program is that it is not restricted to Onlia members. If you’re not a customer, you can still download the app and earn rewards.
In 2020, Onlia home insurance launched a Home Safety Checkup that provides a virtual appointment with a Home Expert to identify and mitigate risks in your home to help reduce the chances of a claim.
Onlia car insurance
Onlia currently only offers auto insurance in Ontario. On top of providing the Ontario market with a quality car insurance product, they actively lobby the provincial government for road safety and insurance reform. As with all policies in Ontario, Onlia provides the standard minimums including third-party liability, accident benefits, uninsured motorist protection, and direct compensation property damage (DCPD). They also offer standard add-ons such as collision, comprehensive, and accident forgiveness. It’s their “stand-out” coverages and programs that make them extra special.
- Onlia Sense - their mobile app helps you build safe driving habits by scoring and rewarding good behaviour. As a customer, you can earn cashback rewards.
- Increased liability coverage - the minimum in Ontario is $200,000, but that’s a risky endeavour. Most Canadians default to $1 million and with Onlia insurance you can upgrade to $2 million.
- 75% Settlement Option - if the damage following a collision exceeds 75% of its value you can choose to have it repaired or replaced.
- Free rental cars - whether your car is being repaired or replaced, they’ll pay for your rental car while you wait.
- Cancellation freedom - Not happy with your experience? You can cancel without penalty.
- On-demand roadside assistance - Need emergency help with your car? For a flat fee of $79, Onlia will change a tire, unlock your car, give you a boost, and deliver 10L of fuel. If you need a tow, pricing starts at $99 and is charged per kilometre after a certain distance.
Compare Onlia car insurance
In under five minutes, compare personalized car insurance quotes online from Canada's top providers, for free.
Onlia home insurance
Onlia home insurance includes coverage for homeowners, tenants, and condos. They offer standard coverages such as protecting your home and any detached structures (e.g. shed, fence), your valuables (whether home or away), living expenses if you need to relocate during repairs, and personal liability if someone injures themselves on your property.
- Home-sharing - If you rent out your home, or a part of it, on a temporary basis, they’ll insure you. This optional coverage addition is special because it’s not true for all insurers. Be cautious with companies like Airbnb or VRBO, as a lot of insurance companies will outright deny any claim you have if you part-take in temporary home-sharing.
- Identity theft – Receive up to $10,000 if a member of your family has their identity stolen to help you in the recovery process.
- Guaranteed replacement cost – They’ll pay to repair your home even if it exceeds your policy’s limits.
- Inflation protection – Onlia will increase the limits of your policy to match the rate of inflation.
- Flood and Sewer Backup - Most policies cover a burst pipe, but not flooding from torrential downpours or backed-up sewers. Onlia has you covered with this optional coverage addition.
Is Onlia Insurance only available in Ontario?
Who owns Onlia Insurance?
How do I file an Onlia Insurance claim?
Matt Hands, Business Director of Insurance
With 6+ years of experience at Ratehub.ca, Matt’s focus has been on growing its newest business unit, Insurance. He is a thought leader and a valuable resource to respected publications across Canada. read full bio
Whether you need a mortgage, credit card, savings account, or insurance coverage, we help you find and compare the best financial products for your specific needs.
When it comes to mortgages, Ratehub.ca is more than just a place to research and compare the best rates. Our goal is to give Canadians the best mortgage experience from online search to close. This means offering Canadians the mortgage tools, information and articles to educate themselves, allowing them to get personalized rate quotes from multiple lenders to compare rates instantly, and providing them with the best online application and offline customer service to close their mortgage all in one place.
Ratehub.ca has been named Canada's Mortgage Brokerage of the Year for four years straight (2018-2021). With over 12 years of mortgage experience, and over $11 billion in mortgages funded, we deliver you the best mortgage experience in Canada.
How does Ratehub.ca make money?
Financial institutions pay us for connecting them with customers. This could be through advertisements, or when someone applies or is approved for a product. However, not all products we list are tied to compensation for us. Our industry-leading education centres and calculators are available 24/7, free of charge, and with no obligation to purchase. To learn more, visit our About us page.read more about us