Did you know that Canadian couples spend the equivalent of 10 months’ salary on their wedding on average?
Canadians say “I do” for the first time around age 31 according to Statistics Canada, who also says the average 25-34 year old takes home $41,690 per year. Meanwhile, a Canadian couple will spend roughly $34,500 on their wedding. That’s a lot of money!
When you’re spending that much on your big day, you want to get as much out of it as you can. That’s why it’s so important to get the right credit card to earn points or cash back on all those expenses. These are the best credit cards in Canada for your wedding expenses.
based on spending $2,200/mo after $150 annual fee
- Earn rewards
1pt – 5pts / dollar earn rate
- Earn up to 5 points per dollar in eligible grocery and restaurant purchases*
- 2 points per dollar in eligible gas and electric vehicle charging purchases, recurring bill payments and À la carte travel (TM) purchases*
- 1 point per 1 dollar in other purchases
- Up to $150 each year in refund for travel expenses on airport parking fees, seat selection fees, baggage fees, airline ticket upgrades and access to airport lounges worldwide
- Free and unlimited access along with one (1) guest per cardholder to the National Bank Lounge at Montréal-Trudeau airport.
- Reassuring protection. Travel with peace of mind thanks to our comprehensive insurance coverage up to 60 days
- Out-of-province-of-residence medical/hospital insurance
- Departure flight delay insurance
- Baggage insurance in case of delay
- Baggages insurance in case of theft or loss
- Vehicle rental insurance
- Mobile devices insurance against theft or damages for a period of up to 2 years
- Medical, general and legal assistance
- Purchase protection in case of theft or damage*
- Extended Warranty*
- With the À la carte Rewards Plan® (the “À la carte Plan”), you earn points for every dollar on eligible purchases. These points may be exchanged for rewards such as merchandise, a travel package, a gift card, a travel discount, a donation, a financial product, repayment with rewards points or any other reward offered under the À la carte Plan
The National Bank World Elite Mastercard offers fantastic travel insurance coverage and features for seniors, making it a strong contender among travel credit cards. The trip insurance offers will save you money on your next vacation, plus, the strong points earnings you’ll get from the card could help you cover part or all of the cost of your next trip.
- Extensive travel insurance: Strong travel insurance, including extended emergency medical insurance coverage for seniors that will cover you for 15 days of travel plus trip cancellation or disruption and flight delay insurance, and more
- Travel expense refunds: Receive up to $150 each year in refunds for airport parking, seat selection, check-in fees, airline ticket upgrades and access to airport lounges worldwide
- Flexible redemption options: Combined with high, unlimited earn rates on essentials like groceries, gas and dining, this card also provides flexible redemption options on everything from travel through their A La Carte portal or redeeming for travel booked through any provider
- Annual fee: The $150 annual fee is slightly higher than average for this type of card
- Lounge access limitations: The complimentary lounge access only applies to Montreal airport
- Income requirement: The annual income requirement of $80,000 may be a barrier for some users
- Points values are fixed: Point values remain the same regardless of your destination, so it may take longer to accumulate points for longer flights. Plus, your points are worth less for anything other than booking travel through the A La Carte platform
Unfortunately, most event venues and caterers don’t count as restaurants or hotels where credit card rewards are concerned. Fortunately, the National Bank World Elite Mastercard is here to save the day for this, and other miscellaneous wedding expenses.
The National Bank World Elite Mastercard rewards you with 1 point per dollar spent on all purchases, including wedding venues. It also has a healthy welcome bonus - This card does not have a welcome bonus at this time.
If you do happen to use a restaurant for a rehearsal dinner or the wedding itself, you’ll earn a whopping 5 points for every dollar you spend. You’ll also earn 5 points per dollar spent on groceries, and 2 dollars spent on travel, fuel, and recurring bill payments. Points can be redeemed for just about anything, including a bill credit, although you’ll get the best value if you use them for travel.
This card has comprehensive travel insurance coverage and includes unlimited access to the National Bank Lounge at Montréal-Trudeau airport. Bon voyage!
Best for Travel perks
based on spending $2,200/mo after $150 annual fee
- Earn rewards
1pt – 3pts / dollar earn rate
- Welcome bonus
30,000 bonus points (a $300 value)
- Ratehub.ca’s 2024 Credit Card Award Winner
- Earn up to $1,300* in value in the first 12 months, including up to 40,000 bonus Scene+ points and first year annual fee waived¹
- Earn 3x Scene+ points¹ on every $1 you spend at Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland and participating
Co-ops and more
- Earn 2x Scene+ points¹ for every $1 you spend on other eligible grocery stores, dining, eligble entertainment puchases and eligible daily trasit options(including rideshares, buses, subways taxis and more)
- Plus earn 1 Scene+ point for every $1 spent on all other eligible everyday purchases
- No Foreign Transaction Fee
- 6 Complimentary Airport Lounge Access
- Comprehensive Travel Insurance coverage
- Visa Infinite* Concierge Services
- Visa Infinite* Hotel Collection
- Visa Infinite* Dining and Wine Country program
Rates, fees and other information are effective as of Jan.4, 2024. Subject to change
The Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite card makes a great vacation companion, designed for Canadians who travel abroad and explore the world. It is one of the few cards that covers foreign transaction fees, and also includes valuable travel benefits like airport lounge access.
- No foreign transaction fee: Save 2.5% on all non-Canadian currency purchases
- Scene+ points: Earn three Scene+ points per $1 spent at participating grocery stores (e.g., Sobey’s, IGA, and FreshCo) and two Scene+ points per $1 spent on eligible grocery, dining, entertainment, and daily transit purchases
- Flexible redemption: Enjoy flexible point redemption options including for travel, groceries, statement credits, gift cards, and movie tickets
- Airport lounge access: Access airport lounges with six free visits per year to over 1,200 lounges worldwide
- Visa Infinite benefits: Benefit from the Visa Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection, Visa Infinite Dining series, and complimentary Avis Preferred Plus membership
- Comprehensive travel insurance: Enjoy coverage for emergency medical, trip cancellation/interruption, flight delays, and more
- Annual fee: The annual fee of $150 is higher than some comparable cards
- Low point return: The earn rate for certain spending categories like dining and entertainment is lower compared to other cards
- Consistent point values: Travel points are always worth one cent per point and you can’t transfer your points to other airline rewards programs like you can with some Amex cards
After the stress of planning a wedding, your honeymoon is a much needed break. The Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Card can help you book the honeymoon of your dreams and offers great protection along the way.
When it comes to earning travel rewards, this card gives you 3 Scene+ points per dollar spent at participating grocery stores, 2 points per dollar spent on restaurants, food delivery, entertainment, and daily transit, and 1 point per dollar spent on everything else. Plus, it has a generous welcome offer - earn up to $1,300 in value in the first 12 months, including up to 40,000 bonus Scene+ points and first year annual fee waived. Offer ends July 1, 2024. Scene+ points can easily be redeemed for travel, merchandise, or a bill credit.
For the trip itself, this card includes travel emergency medical insurance, trip cancellation insurance, and a host of other travel insurance coverage. You can use one of the 6 complimentary airport lounge passes to make your trip more comfortable. And as an added bonus, it’s the only Visa Infinite card with no foreign transaction fee, saving you an average of 2.5% on purchases made outside the country.
And finally, you can earn your honeymoon faster by getting a secondary credit card for your fiancé(e) for no additional fee.
Purchase interest rate
- Pay $4/mo
Based on a credit balance of $500
- Annual fee
- This offer is not available for residents of Quebec.
- $39 annual fee
- Standard Annual Interest Rates of 8.99% on purchases, 8.99% on balance transfers and access cheques, and 24.99% on cash advances
- Around-the-clock-fraud protection
- Access to 24/7 customer service
The MBNA True Line Gold Mastercard offers the lowest fixed interest rate for a credit card in Canada. Despite the annual fee, which some other low-interest cards don’t charge, the super-low rate makes the card a great choice for those who carry a balance.
- Lowest fixed interest rate: Low purchase rate which doesn’t change with the prime rate or your credit score
- Low balance transfer rate: The balance transfer interest rate is much lower than other cards and the fee is only 1% vs. the 3% charged by other cards
- Few perks: Besides savings on rental cars, there aren’t any perks or rewards associated with this card
- Limited insurance: Aside from the standard purchase assurance and extended warranty, this card doesn’t have trip coverage or rental car insurance which are valuable for users
While there are no credit cards that will let you run up a balance without paying interest, the MBNA True Line Mastercard has a great introductory interest rate on balance transfers that can help you avoid paying interest charges on your other cards.
When you transfer your balance from another card within 90 days of getting your MBNA True Line Mastercard, you’ll pay 0% interest for 12 months on the amount transferred. Even after the 3% transfer fee, you’ll save more than $200 a year per $1,000 you transfer.
For financing larger purchases, this card has a relatively low interest rate of 12.99%. It also offers 0% payment plans that let you spread purchases out over 6, 12, or 18 months for a one-time fee.
If you don’t have a balance to transfer and just want a low interest credit card, consider the MBNA True Line Gold Mastercard which offers an ultra-low interest rate of 8.99% but carries a $39 annual fee.
Best for Groceries & gas
based on spending $2,200/mo after $120 annual fee
- Earn rewards
1pt – 4pts / dollar earn rate
- Welcome bonus
200 bonus points (a $200 value)
Ratehub.ca’s 2023 Award Winner – Best Cash Back Credit Card
Welcome Offer: Get a first-year annual fee rebate and earn 10% cash back welcome bonus of up to $200 (first 4 statements)!†
- After that, get 4% cash back on eligible gas, EV charging and grocery purchases.†
- 2% cash back on eligible transportation, dining purchases and recurring payments†
- 1% cash back on all other purchases†
- Get cash back on demand – redeem your cash back at any time when you have a minimum of $25 through CIBC Online and Mobile Banking®†
- Save on gas with CIBC and Journie Rewards
- Link and use your CIBC Dividend® Visa Infinite* Card with Journie Rewards to automatically save up to 10 cents per litre† at participating Pioneer, Fas Gas, Ultramar and Chevron gas stations.†
- This is a digital-exclusive offer.To be eligible for this offer: 1) this offer must have been directly communicated to you from CIBC or from a partner/affiliate; and 2) you must apply for the eligible card through the link provided in the CIBC or partner/affiliate communication to you.† This offer is reserved for you. Please do not forward it to anyone else.
- CIBC may approve your application, but you are not eligible to receive this Offer if you have opened, transferred or cancelled another eligible card within the last 12 months.†
- This offer is not available for the residents of Quebec.
- †Terms and Conditions Apply
The biggest selling point of the CIBC Dividend® Visa Infinite is its impressive rewards on everyday essentials. On top of the 1% earn rate for all purchases, this card earns an industry-leading 4% cash back on both groceries and gas purchases – two of the most common spending categories for Canadian households.
- High earn rates on specific categories: Significantly higher earn rates on groceries, EV charging, and gas than most other cards (4% cash back)
- Flexible cash back redemption: Users can redeem rewards at any time as a statement credit starting in increments of $25
- Convenient payment option for large purchases: Access to CIBC’s Pace It program, allowing you to pay off large purchases in monthly increments
- Exclusive program access: Access to the Visa Infinite Program, entitling you to attend special dining events and hotel perks at participating hotels and restaurants
- Income requirement: The annual fee ($120) and personal income requirements ($60,000) may be prohibitive
- Limited insurance coverage: Insurance coverage isn’t as comprehensive as other similar rewards cards (if insurance is a priority for you, consider the cards featured on our list of Best credit cards for travel insurance)
Alright, sometimes you don’t want travel rewards. When you’re planning and paying for a wedding, sometimes you just want cash. That’s where the CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite Card comes in.
This premium cash back card gives you 4% cash back on gas and groceries, 2% cash back on transportation, restaurants and recurring bills, and 1% cash back on everything else with no limits on how much you can earn. As a welcome bonus, you can Earn 10% cash back welcome bonus of up to $200 (first 4 statements). Offer not available to QC residents. Terms and conditions apply. And you can cash in on your cash back any time, as long as you have a minimum of $25 to redeem.
This card also comes with other perks like discounts on rental cars, some travel insurance, and savings of 10₵ per litre at participating gas stations.
Best for Flexible spending
based on spending $2,200/mo after $0 annual fee
- Earn rewards
2pts – 10pts / dollar earn rate
- Take on the world, get an extra 10% back* on everyday purchases.
- Apply for a Tangerine World Mastercard® by April 30, 2024 and earn an extra 10% back* (up to $100) when you spend up to $1,000 in everyday purchases within your first 2 months.
- Earn 2% Money-Back Rewards on purchases in two 2% Money-Back Categories of your choice, and 0.50% Money-Back Rewards on all other purchases.
- Have your Money-Back Rewards deposited into a Tangerine Savings Account, and get a 3rd 2% Money-Back Category.
- No limit on the amount of Money-Back Rewards you can earn.
Change your 2% Money-Back Categories to suit your spending.
The Tangerine World Mastercard is a well-rounded credit card offering robust insurance coverage, including mobile device coverage, exclusive World Mastercard benefits, and airport lounge access through the Mastercard Travel Pass. This card would make for a great travel companion while providing great cash back value.
- Customizable bonus categories: Flexibility to pick up to three bonus categories to earn 2% cash back on (out of a total of 10 options), which is in sharp contrast to most other cards where you have fixed bonus categories that you have no control over. Users are also given the freedom to change the bonus categories at any time (changes will take up to 90 days to come into effect)
- Balance Transfer Option: Take advantage of a 1.95% balance transfer promotion for the first 6 months, providing potential savings on interest charges to help you pay off your credit card debt. (Balance transfer fee of 3%)
- Comprehensive Insurance Coverage: Surprisingly robust insurance coverage, particularly mobile device insurance, which is uncommon for a no-fee card.
- Exclusive World Mastercard Benefits: Access Mastercard Priceless Cities and Mastercard World Experiences for unique global experiences and valuable offers.
- Airport Lounge Access: Enjoy access to over 1,000 airport lounges worldwide through Mastercard Travel Pass, enhancing your travel experience (at a cost of $32 USD per visit)
- High Income Requirements: The card comes with a high annual income requirement of $60,000. However, if these are not met, the Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card is a viable alternative with few sacrifices.
- Low Base Earn Rate: You only earn 0.5% on all purchases outside of bonus categories.
While the thought of paying a big annual fee for a premium credit card can be off-putting, you don’t always need to pay to get a great credit card.
The Tangerine World Mastercard has no annual fee and gives you unlimited money back rewards of up to 2% on purchases. What’s more, you can choose your own rewards categories to maximize your cash back. As a welcome bonus, you can earn earn an extra 10% back on up to $1,000 in everyday purchases within the first 2 months. Must apply by April 30, 2024.
Even without an annual fee, this card offers some useful features like rental car collision insurance, mobile device insurance, and a handful of travel perks provided by Mastercard.
The bottom line
If you’re not using the right credit card for your wedding expenses, you’re missing out on big rewards and valuable perks. Compare credit cards online to find the best one for your spending plans and say thanks to the bank for your awesome (and well-deserved) honeymoon.