Overview of the Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* Card
On entertainment, groceries, restaurants (including fast food & drinks), daily transit1 point/$1
On other purchases
Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite* Card details
- Welcome offer
- 30,000 bonus points ($300 value)
- Annual fee
- Earn 2x points on entertainment, groceries, restaurants (including fast food & drinks), daily transit, 1x points on other purchases
- Average point value
- Purchase interest rate
- Cash advance interest rate
- Balance transfer interest rate
- Minimum income
- Household income
- Recommended credit score
- Card type
Detailed card summary
Benefits & features
- Receive a free $100 gift card to Amazon.ca from Ratehub.ca upon approval.*
- Earn up to 40,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points in your first year (that’s up to $400 towards travel )1
- Earn 2x Scotia Rewards® points on every $1 you spend on eligible grocery stores, dining, entertainment purchases and daily transit purchases (including buses, subways, taxis and more)
- Enjoy no FX Mark-up
- Enjoy Complimentary Airport Lounge Access, plus 6 free lounge visits per year
- Rates, fees and other information are effective as of Mar 1, 2021. Subject to change.
How to redeem
Redeem your points against any travel purchase on your statements
How to get approved
- Minimum income $60K/yr
- Household income $100K/yr
- Recommended credit score 660+
- You are a permanent Canadian resident and have reached the age of majority in the province in which you live.
Launched in early 2018, the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite entered the fray as the only credit card from the country’s big banks to completely waive its foreign transaction fees (and made headlines for doing so). But its appeal doesn’t stop there.
One of the best travel credit cards in Canada, the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite is packed with other perks frequent travellers care about like airport lounge access, a strong sign-up bonus, and flexible points that can be redeemed flexibly for flights on virtually any airline.
For everything you need to know about this card, read our full breakdown below.
Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite – quick review
- It’s one of the few cards in Canada to completely waive its foreign transaction fees. Aside from Scotia, none of Canada’s other big five banks issue cards that’ll save you on fees when spending in an international currency.
- You’ll receive a complimentary Priority Pass membership with six free annual passes to over 1,200 airport lounges worldwide (value of $291 USD).
- As a new Scotiabank cardholder, you can get 30,000 bonus points (up to $300 value).
- You’ll earn double the points for every dollar spent on groceries, dining, entertainment, and daily transit (including taxis and Ubers).
- The Scotia Rewards program is easy to understand (1 point = 1% off your travel purchase) and flexible (redeem points for flights on any airline).
- With Scotia’s Apply Points to Travel option, you can use points to save on travel booked directly with an airline or hotel provider. You won’t be restricted to using the bank’s in-house travel agency when redeeming points.
- The card comes with several types of insurance, including travel emergency medical coverage, trip cancellation/interruption, flight delay, lost baggage, and more.
- You can add a supplementary cardholder at no extra cost (most other premium cards charge an extra $39-$50).
- The Passport Visa Infinite has an annual fee of $139, which is slightly above the average $120 annual fee found on many comparable travel rewards cards.
- You can earn more points on your everyday spending on a handful of other rewards cards, like the Scotiabank Gold American Express.
- It has an income requirement of $60,000 (or $100,000 as a household), which means it might be out of reach for some.
Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite – detailed breakdown
No foreign transaction fees
One of the greatest perks of this card – and arguably what it’s most known for – is that it comes with no foreign transaction fees.
You might not realize it, but almost every credit card charges an additional 2.5% foreign transaction fee on top of the exchange rate whenever you make a purchase in a non-Canadian currency — like when swiping your card while abroad or shopping online in US dollars.
If you’re a frequent traveller or typically spend a lot in foreign currencies, that can add up. For instance, if you budget $1,000 for food and transit during your one week vacation in London, this fee would typically cost you an extra $25 just for the convenience of using a credit card.
By saving you the cost of foreign transaction fees, the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite makes sticking with a credit card while travelling more compelling. That means you can avoid carrying huge wads of foreign cash or relying heavily on currency exchange offices (which tack on their own costly fees, especially in tourist hot spots).
Using a credit card abroad also means you get the added security of pin and purchase protection while also earning rewards on your spending. In the case of the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite, you’ll earn Scotia Rewards points on all your international purchases along with saving on foreign transaction fees.
Airport lounge benefits
The other major perk of the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite is its complimentary membership to Priority Pass, which opens up the door to a network of over 1,200 airport lounges worldwide.
The Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite’s lounge access benefits stand out for two reasons.
First, whereas most credit cards with lounge access only provide two to four free annual lounge passes, the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite offers six.
Second, if you were to purchase the equivalent membership directly from Priority Pass, it would set you back $291 USD every year – which on its own is over double the card’s annual fee.
The Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite currently comes with a sign-up promotion of 30,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points.
In order to qualify for the offer, you must:
- Spend at least $1,000 within your first three months of receiving the card; and
- Be new to Scotiabank or not have opened a Scotiabank credit card (or been a secondary cardholder on a Scotia account) within the previous two years.
The value of a Scotia Reward point is equal to $0.01 when redeemed for travel, meaning the sign-up bonus is worth up to $300. The one drawback is this offer doesn’t also include a first-year annual fee waiver like many other cards.
Rewards on everyday spending
The Passport Visa Infinite earns 2 Scotia points for every dollar spent on groceries, dining, entertainment, and transit (including taxis, subway, buses, and rideshares including Uber).
On all other purchases, the card nets 1 Scotia point per dollar.
When redeemed for travel, 1 Scotia point equals $0.01, so in a way, this card acts like a cash back card for your travel purchases (with its 2 and 1 point per dollar earn rates working out to the equivalent of a 2% and 1% return respectively).
It’s worth noting that the card does have a slightly lower everyday earn rate than some comparable rewards credit cards, like the Scotiabank Gold American Express. But the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite is a well-rounded card that offers a ton of added value with side perks that are tailored to travellers like its no foreign transaction fees and lounge access benefits.
Redeeming Scotia Rewards (and points values)
Scotia Points are extremely flexible and can be redeemed for travel rewards in two ways:
- The Scotia Rewards Travel Service, the banks in-house travel service and search engine that lets you intuitively browse different travel options;
- By Applying Points to Travel, which gives you the flexibility to purchase a flight ticket or hotel stay directly from an airline or travel provider of your choice, and use points to offset the cost at a later date. You can redeem points retroactively up to 12 months after the purchase date, and you’ll receive a credit on your statement equal to your points’ value.
The latter is a great feature and means you’re not locked into using the bank’s in-house travel agency and can instead compare flight prices online and book travel plans completely on your agenda.
As mentioned earlier, the value of 1 Scotia Reward point is worth a consistent $0.01 when redeemed travel. That makes it easier to determine the value of a point compared to most other travel rewards programs since points values are constant and don’t fluctuate according to a rewards chart. Keep in mind though, you must redeem points in a minimum of 5,000 increments ($50 value).
When redeeming points for anything non-travel related (like gift cards or merchandise), you’ll get less than $0.01 per point in value – so it’s best to stick to using your points for travel-related redemptions. If you’re not much of a traveller and want to use your rewards to save on your everyday spending, consider checking out some of the best cash back credit cards in Canada instead.
|Redemption options||Value of 1 point|
|Cash credits||0.67 – 0.8 cents|
|Gift cards||0.74 cents|
|Merchandise||Varies (but typically below 0.8 cents)|
Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite travel insurance
It’s always reassuring to have travel insurance. Luckily, the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite’s insurance benefits are some of the best of any travel rewards card. Here’s an overview of what this card offers:
|Travel emergency medical||$1 million per insured person (25 days for age 64 and under, but 10 days for age 65 and older)|
|Trip cancellation||$2,500 per person (up to $10,000 per trip)|
|Trip interruption||$2,500 per person (up to $10,000 per trip)|
|Flight delay||Up to $500 per person per trip|
|Delayed and lost luggage||Up to $1,000 per trip after only 4 hours|
|Hotel/motel burglary||Up to $1,000 per occurrence in Canada or the US|
|Rental car collision/loss damage||For vehicles up to $65,000 in value (for 48 days)|
|Common carrier travel accident||Up to $500,000 per person/up to $1 million per occurrence|
There’s also purchase insurance and price drop protection included. Most personal items are covered against loss, theft, or damage if the full cost of the item is charged to the card. Coverage extends for the first 90 days from the purchase date up to $60,000 and is in addition to other insurance coverage.
Fees, interest rates, and income requirements
The card has an annual fee of $139, which is a little higher than some other travel rewards cards that charge around $120. That said, there isn’t an additional annual fee for adding your first authorized user – so you can pick up a supplementary card for a loved one at no extra cost. Most other premium cards charge around $50 to $39 a year for adding a supplementary cardholder.
The purchase interest rate is 19.99% if you have an unpaid balance and the cash advance rate is 22.99%. This rate won’t enter the equation as long as you pay off your balance in full every month and avoid borrowing money from your credit card.
To qualify for the card, you need to have an annual income of at least $60,000 or a minimum household income of $100,000.
The Passport Visa Infinite gives you a free Avis Preferred Plus membership, which provides up to 25% off car rentals in Canada and the US as well as complimentary upgrades (when available). You can also get a special number to call for reservations and customer support.
As a Visa Infinite cardmember, you’ll have access to the Visa Infinite concierge, who can help you with airline or hotel reservations, pre-trip planning, ticket or event bookings, and restaurant reservations.
You’ll even have access to the Visa Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection – a selection of over 900 hotels around the world. When staying at an eligible hotel, you’ll get a best available rate guarantee, free daily breakfast for two, an automatic room upgrade or late checkout (when available), and a $25 food or beverage credit.
1 For a limited time, become a new Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite credit cardholder and earn a one-time 30,000 Scotia Rewards point bonus with your first $1,000 in everyday eligible purchases if made within the first 3 months (the “Bonus Offer”). Bonus Offer ends July 1, 2021. Conditions apply – see 1 below for further details. Bonus Offer may be changed, cancelled or extended and cannot be combined with any other offers.
Plus, as a Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite credit cardholder you are always eligible to earn an annual 10,000 Scotia Rewards point bonus when you spend at least $40,000 in everyday eligible purchases annually on your Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite account. Conditions apply – see 2 below for further details.
Rates and Fees: The current annual fee for the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite credit card (“Account”) is $139 for the primary card, $0 for one additional supplementary card and $50 for each additional supplementary card thereafter.
The current preferred annual interest rates for this Account are: 19.99% on purchases and 22.99% on cash advances (including balance transfers, Scotia® Credit Card Cheques and cash-like transactions). All rates, fees, features and benefits are subject to change.
1) Bonus Offer Description and Conditions:To be eligible for the Bonus Offer, you must have at least $1,000 in eligible purchases posted to your new Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite credit card account (“Account”) in the first 3 months from the Account open date. Eligible purchases include purchases (less any refunds, returns or other similar credits) but do not include payments, cash advances (including balance transfers, Scotia® Credit Card Cheques or cash-like transactions), interest, fees or other charges. The 30,000 Bonus Offer points will be credited to the primary cardholder’s Scotia Rewards account within approximately 2-3 business days following the qualifying $1,000 in eligible purchases being posted to your Account within 3 months from the Account open date, provided the Account is open and in good standing at time of payout. The Account is considered in good standing if it is not delinquent (past due) or over limit and the Cardholder(s) is not in breach of the Revolving Credit Agreement that applies to the Account. Bonus Offer applies to new Accounts only opened by July 1, 2021.
Individuals who are currently or were previously primary or secondary cardholders of a Scotiabank retail credit card in the past 2 years, including those that switch from an existing Scotiabank retail credit card, as well as employees of Scotiabank, are not eligible for the Bonus Offer. Subject to the above exclusions, Scotiabank small business credit cardholders are eligible for the Bonus Offer.
2) Annual Bonus Point Conditions: As a Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite credit cardholder you can earn an annual Scotia Rewards point bonus starting at 10,000 Scotia Rewards points when you make at least $40,000 in eligible purchases annually on your Account each year (12-months). Eligible purchases include purchases (less any refunds, returns or other similar credits) but do not include payments, cash advances (including balance transfers, Scotia® Credit Card Cheques or cash-like transactions), interest, fees or other charges. Annual period starts from the Account open date and resets every 12 months thereafter. You will earn 2,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points for every additional $10,000 in Purchases thereafter in that same year, after the $40,000 annual spend has been reached.
The Annual bonus Scotia Rewards points will be credited within approximately 2-3 business days after you have met the $40,000 annual spend threshold on the Account and within approximately 2-3 business days after you have met each additional $10,000 annual spend threshold on the Account, provided your Account is open and in good standing. The Account is considered in good standing if it is not delinquent (past due) or over limit and the Cardholders(s) is not in breach of the Revolving Credit Agreement that applies to the Account.