Desjardins Car Insurance
Based in Quebec, Desjardins is the top co-operative financial institution in Canada. It has over $229 billion of assets, nearly 46,000 employees, and 7 million members and clients. Desjardins offers personal banking, investment solutions and a full range of insurance products. The company’s car insurance policies are available to Canadians in Quebec, Ontario and Alberta.
Desjardins sells the following car insurance policies:
- Third-party liability: Protects you in the event a driver in your vehicle injures or kills someone or damages their property. Third-party liability covers the cost of any lawsuit up to the specified amount of insurance you have purchased. This coverage is mandatory across Canada.
- Accident benefits: Covers the costs of medical, caregiver, and rehabilitation expenses if you or another person are injured in an accident. Income replacement benefits are also included, and funeral costs are covered in the event that an insured person is killed in a collision.
- Collision: Protects you in the event that your car is damaged by a collision with another car or object, such as if you lost control in bad weather and hit a median. Your insurance will typically cover the entire cost of the repairs, minus a deductible (owed by you).
- Comprehensive: Covers you in the event that your car is damaged in any number of ways, including fire, theft, vandalism, weather, etc. Your insurance will typically cover the entire cost of the repairs, minus a deductible (owed by you). Desjardins notes that this coverage is sometimes mandatory for financed or leased vehicles.
- Direct compensation-Property damage (DC-PD): Provides compensation for repairs to your vehicle (and the contents inside it) in the event that another driver is even partially responsible for the damages to it caused by an accident. For coverage to apply, the accident must have occurred in your province, there must be another vehicle involved and it must also be covered by an insurance policy in your province.
- Uninsured driver coverage: Protects you and your passengers in the event that your car is either struck by a hit and run driver, or a driver who does not have insurance. Compensation is provided if someone is injured or killed, and also if the car or its contents are damaged.
Optional Desjardins Car Insurance Policies
In addition to the above, Desjardins also offers the following car insurance policies you can add to your package:
- Removing depreciation deduction: Applies if a new car is stolen or damaged beyond repair within the first two years. In this event, Desjardins compensates you for the full value of the car when it was purchased, without taking into account depreciation.
- 5-year new vehicle protection: Similar to the previous option, this option extends the coverage for 5 years after a car is purchased.
- Family protection: Protects you and your family if you are injured or killed by an uninsured or underinsured motorist.
- Transportation replacement: Covers the cost of a taxi, public transit or a rental car while yours is being repaired or a new one is being purchased. It only applies if the car was damaged by something covered under your policy.
- Civil liability resulting from damage to non-owned automobile: Protects you if you damage a car that is either rented or borrowed for personal use anywhere in Canada or the United States
- Accident-free protection: With this option, your premiums won’t increase after your first at-fault accident.
- $0 deductible With this coverage, you won’t pay any deductible when making a claim, even if you were at fault for an accident.
- Trouble-free option: Combines the transportation replacement and civil liability resulting from damage to non-owned automobile endorsements. In Ontario and Alberta, this endorsement pays $50 per claim to cover emergency roadside assistance. In Quebec, it also provides $15,000 of coverage if you or your spouse die in a car accident, and eliminates the deductible if you’re involved in a hit-and-run, or if your car is declared a total loss.
Desjardins Car Insurance Discounts Available
As is common in the industry, Desjardins offers numerous ways for drivers to save money on their car insurance. The biggest discount program Desjardins offers is called Ajusto. With this program, you install a device in your car that tracks your driving habits. Ajusto assigns you a score based on how smoothly you drive, your speed, the time of day you travel most and the average distance travelled. Depending on your score, you can save up to 25% when you renew your policy.
Other potential savings offered by Desjardins include:
- Multi-Vehicle Discount: You can save up to 15% if you insure more than one vehicle with Desjardins.
- Multi-Line Discount: Desjardins offers a discount on your car insurance if you also have home, rental property or watercraft insurance with them.
- Winter Tire Savings: Having four winter tires results in a savings of 5% on your auto insurance premiums.
- Anti-Theft Savings: You can also save money by installing an approved anti-theft device on your car.
- Hybrid Vehicle Discount: This rewards drivers with environmentally-friendly vehicles.
More About Desjardins Car Insurance
Desjardins offers car insurance in Quebec, Ontario and Alberta. The company sells direct to consumers, which means you don’t pay insurance commissions. Enter your location and car information into our widget and find out if Intact can offer you one of the best car insurance rates in Canada.
Ratehub.ca is not affiliated or otherwise associated with Hub International Canada.