Skip to main content
Ratehub logo
Ratehub logo

Get the best truck insurance quotes in Canada

Compare personalized truck insurance quotes from Canada's top providers, in as little as five minutes. Remember shopping the market is the best way to save.

How to compare truck insurance quotes with

  1. Share information

    Tell us a little about yourself and your truck coverage needs.

  2. Compare quotes

    We instantly show you truck insurance quotes from top Canadian providers.

  3. Save money

    Choose your quote and secure your truck insurance rate online.

A few things we're proud of

  • 1,200,000

    monthly users

  • 11 years


  • Over 1M

    better choices made

  • Trusted partner

    to Canada’s top financial institutions

What is truck insurance

When we talk about car insurance, it's important to remember that all passenger vehicles fall into that category – not just cars. Sport utility vehicles (SUVs), vans and trucks are all considered "automobiles" in the insurance companies' eyes. Here's a quick look at what types of trucks can get a standard car insurance policy.

What qualifies as a truck?

Trucks fall into one of two categories: personal or commercial. A personal truck is a pickup truck or SUV that is used for personal reasons (including to commute to and from work).

On the other hand, a commercial truck is much larger and almost always used to transport goods, so it needs commercial insurance coverage. A pickup truck used commercially (e.g. by a construction company) would also require commercial truck insurance. If you use a pickup truck or SUV for personal reasons, you can get standard auto insurance for it.

How truck insurance works in Canada

Truck insurance works the same as car insurance with the same basic coverages and add-ons available. 

Third-party liability insurance

Accident benefits

Uninsured motorist

Collision insurance (optional)

Comprehensive insurance (optional)

Compare truck insurance quotes.

In less than 5 minutes, compare truck insurance quotes from multiple providers, for free.

Provincial differences in truck insurance coverage

Truck insurance in Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and PEI includes direct compensation property damage (DCPD). 

DCPD means your insurer pays to repair your car when you're not at-fault following a collision in provinces that have it (e.g. ON, QC, NS, NB, and PEI)

No-fault truck insurance means you only ever deal with your insurer in any claim. It's available in all provinces, but there are differences. For instance, in Saskatchewan, you can opt for the Tort system. If you do, and you're found at-fault, you'll pay to repair your car, the other car, and the other driver's injuries. 

In Alberta and BC, victims are permitted to sue the at-fault driver for pain and suffering. You can't in Manitoba or Ontario who have more complete no-fault insurance. 

Public truck insurance is available in BC, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan - you have to buy insurance through provincial crown corporation. Every other province can buy their truck insurance from a provider of their choosing. 

Where to get truck insurance in Canada

At, we work with insurance brokers across Canada to finalize your truck insurance quote. Below are a few of our partners:

Frequently asked truck insurance questions

Does car insurance cover rental trucks?

Are trucks more expensive to insure than cars?

Matt Hands, Business Director of Insurance

With 6+ years of experience at, Matt’s focus has been on growing its newest business unit, Insurance. He is a thought leader and a valuable resource to respected publications across Canada. read full bio

Find more great content on our blog

read more on our blog

The knowledge bank

A wealth of knowledge delivered right to your inbox.

By submitting your email address, you acknowledge and agree to’s Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. Contact us for more information. You can unsubscribe at any time.


Whether you need a mortgage, credit card, savings account, or insurance coverage, we help you find and compare the best financial products for your specific needs.

When it comes to mortgages, is more than just a place to research and compare the best rates. Our goal is to give Canadians the best mortgage experience from online search to close. This means offering Canadians the mortgage tools, information and articles to educate themselves, allowing them to get personalized rate quotes from multiple lenders to compare rates instantly, and providing them with the best online application and offline customer service to close their mortgage all in one place. has been named Canada's Mortgage Brokerage of the Year for four years straight (2018-2021). With over 12 years of mortgage experience, and over $11 billion in mortgages funded, we deliver you the best mortgage experience in Canada.

How does make money?

Financial institutions pay us for connecting them with customers. This could be through advertisements, or when someone applies or is approved for a product. However, not all products we list are tied to compensation for us. Our industry-leading education centres and calculators are available 24/7, free of charge, and with no obligation to purchase. To learn more, visit our About us page.

read more about us