The Platinum Card from American Express has a number of benefits. It allows you to earn points at an accelerated pace, provides you with access to airport lounges, and comes with a $200 annual travel credit and generous insurance coverage.
As a Platinum Cardholder, you’ll automatically be enrolled in the Membership Rewards First Tier of the Membership Rewards program and earn 3 points for every $1 in card purchases on eligible dining and food delivery in canada, 2 points for every $1 in card purchases on eligible travel, and 1 point for every $1 in all other card purchases. As a new cardholder, you’ll can earn 80,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points when you spend $6,000 in purchases within the first three months of Cardmembership, plus an additional 20,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you make a purchase after your 14-month Card anniversary date. That’s a possible total of 100,000 bonus points or $1,000 in statement credits you can reinvest into your business.
The card also gives you access to the Canadian Platinum Lounge Benefit (which provides you complimentary airport lounge access at most major Canadian airports regardless of the fare purchased or the airline booked) and the Airport Club Program, which gives you complimentary lounge access in the United States or internationally when travelling on a specific airline.
There are also a number of credit card insurance products included with the card: Emergency medical insurance, car rental theft damage insurance, flight delay insurance, baggage delay insurance, lost or stolen bag insurance, hotel/motel burglary insurance, travel emergency assistance, $500,000 travel accident insurance, trip cancellation insurance, and trip interruption insurance.
All these features come at a high cost: A $699 annual fee. Although this is expensive, if you take advantage of all of the card’s features you may end up finding it worth the additional cost. Note that this card is a charge card and the balance must be paid in full each month or you’ll be charged a 30% annual interest rate.
If you’re looking for a superior travel rewards card, you may have found your match. The Platinum Card lets you earn points that can be redeemed for travel, dining, entertainment, and retail rewards. You can even transfer your points to other loyalty rewards programs such as Aeroplan.
American Express®The Platinum Card®
Earn up to 80,000 Membership Rewards® points - that’s up to $800 towards a weekend away
- $699 annual fee
- Welcome Offer: earn 80,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points when you spend $6,000 in purchases within the first three months of Cardmembership. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you make a purchase after your 14-month Card anniversary date (possible total of 100,000 bonus points or $1000 credit value)
- Earn 3 points for every $1 in card purchases on eligible dining and food delivery in Canada, 2 points for every $1 in card purchases on eligible travel, and 1 point for every $1 in all other card purchases
- $200 annual travel credit awarded on the anniversary of your card membership
- Get unlimited access to numerous airport lounges
- Toronto Pearson Airport benefits including security bypass, discounted parking and valet car services
- As a Charge Card, interest applies in accordance with your Cardmember Agreement, Information Box, and Disclosure statement if the total New Balance is not paid by the Payment Due Date each month. All payments must be received by the Payment Due Date shown on the monthly statement