Our newest educational tool, the RRSP Education Centre, has just launched. RateHub was designed around the idea of helping Canadians make informed financial decisions. With the addition of RRSP-focused content, we believe we’re further enabling you to search smarter and save for your retirement.
The RRSP Education Centre provides you with information designed to answer a number of questions, such as: What’s an RRSP?, What investments can I hold in an RRSP?, What’s my RRSP contribution limit?, and What happens if I over-contribute to my RRSP?
The initial release of the Education Centre has been broken into three sections.
Section #1 is focused on RRSP basics:
- What is an RRSP?—Learn more about this retirement savings tool and the benefits of contributing to an RRSP.
- RRSP Rules—Find out about the rules for RRSP contributions and withdrawals.
- RRSP Investment Options—RRSPs aren’t just for cash. You can hold a variety of investments in an RRSP.
- TFSA vs. RRSP—Learn about the differences and similarities between TFSAs and RRSPs.
Section #2 explains you what you need to know about RRSP contributions:
- RRSP Contribution Limit—Find out about RRSP contribution limits are and how they’re determined.
- RRSP Contribution Deadline—Learn about the deadline for making RRSP contributions and why it’s important to keep track of how much you contribute.
- 2017 RRSP Contribution Limit—Although the deadline for contributing to your RRSP for this tax year is still months away, it’s helpful to know what the limit is, when you should contribute, and what happens to unused contribution room.
- RRSP Over-contribution—Find out what happens when you over-contribute to your RRSP.
- RRSP Tax Deduction—Learn how to reduce your taxable income with an RRSP contribution.
- RRSP Loan—Find out whether or not it makes sense to borrow money to make an RRSP contribution.
Section #3 is designed to educate users on the various forms of RRSP withdrawals:
- RRSP Withdrawal Rules—Discover what happens when you withdraw money from your RRSP.
- RRSP Withholding Tax—Find out what the RRSP withholding tax is and how it’s applied when you make a withdrawal.
- RRSP Home Buyers’ Plan—Learn about the Home Buyers’ Plan and how you can make a tax-free withdrawal from your RRSP.
We’re diligently working on a set RRSP calculators designed to help users forecast the potential of their retirement savings and to calculate their maximum RRSP contribution room.
Want a better GIC rate?
Compare the best GIC rates available
- What to Do If You Can’t Max out Your RRSP
- How to Set Yourself Up For a Comfortable Retirement
- What Happens if You Miss the RRSP Deadline?