CIBC has beefed-up the benefits on one of its most popular travel credit cards – the Aventura Visa Infinite Card – rolling out new perks and a lucrative welcome offer that will help fast track your travel plans and seriously upgrade your airport experience.
Already one of the best travel credit cards in terms of flexibility – with points that can be redeemed for flights on any airline with no blackout dates or seat restrictions – the Aventura Visa Infinite now includes free memberships to Priority Pass airport lounges and the NEXUS program as well as mobile device insurance.
Despite changes to its benefits however, the card offers the same rewards earn rate. You’ll get 2 Aventura points for every dollar spent on travel (provided the purchase is made through the CIBC Aventura Rewards Centre), 1.5 points per dollar on gas, pharmacy and grocery purchases, and 1 point per dollar on everything else.
Read below for an in-depth review of the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Card, its welcome bonus, and its benefits.
CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite – At a glance
- Annual fee: $120 (rebated for the first year)
- Welcome offer: get over $1,250 in value including a first year annual fee rebate
- Earn 2 points per dollar on travel purchased through the CIBC Rewards Centre, 1.5 points on gas, groceries and pharmacies, and 1 point per $1 on all other purchases
- Redeem your Aventura points for more than travel with our Shop With Points/Pay with Points features†
- Travel local - Aventura points can be redeemed for more than just flights – use your points for hotels and car rentals for a weekend getaway
- Emergency travel and mobile device insurance
A stacked welcome offer
The CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite also comes with a generous welcome offer. New cardholders can earn a total of up to 40,000 Aventura points (up to $850 in travel value†) by collecting 20,000 Aventura points upon their first purchase, 15,000 Aventura points after spending $1000 or more monthly during their first year†, and 5,000 Aventura points as an additional anniversary bonus.†
New users will also receive a one-time annual fee rebate ($139) along with up to three authorized users ($50 each) for a cash value of over $189.† You'll also enjoy a Priority Pass Membership and 4 complimentary visits per year at 1,300+ airport lounges† for a cash value of over $200†. Not only that, but you'll get a NEXUS◊ Application Fee rebate† (50 value†).
Save on gas with CIBC and Journie Rewards
Users of the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite card can also save at the pumps by linking and using their CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Card with Journie Rewards to automatically save up to 10 cents per litre† at participating Pioneer, Fas Gas, Ultramar and Chevron gas stations.†
Premium travel insurance benefits
Similar to many of the best credit cards in Canada, the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite features a roster of travel insurance benefits.
The card offers emergency travel medical insurance up to $5 million for 15 consecutive days for cardholders under the age of 65, trip cancellation and bag loss insurance, rental car coverage (collision and loss) up to $65,000, and more.
However, one insurance perk that separates the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite from most other travel credit cards is its mobile device coverage. A particularly useful benefit given the exponentially increasing cost of smartphones, CIBC’s mobile device insurance policy covers up to $1,000 on lost or accidentally damaged smartphones that were either partially or fully purchased through a CIBC Aventura Card from the smartphone maker or a wireless provider.
Redeeming Aventura Points
In terms of how the CIBC Aventura program works for points redemptions, cardholders must use the online CIBC Rewards Centre or contact an Aventura Travel Assistant over the phone at 1 888 232-5656. The latter option offers a full-fledged travel agency experience at no extra cost, with access to assistants who can help book every step of your journey from flights to car rentals and hotel stays.
As highlighted at the beginning of this review, points are not subject to airline, date or seat restrictions. Plus, the points you earn on your Aventura card can also be used to cover the cost of flight taxes and fees, and never expire.
Unfortunately, however, points cannot be applied to credit card statements retroactively. The value of Aventura points are also not consistent and vary depending on where you choose to fly, which means you may get a lower value out of your points for flying to some destinations than others.
Aside from travel rewards, cardholders also have the freedom to redeem their Aventura points for gift cards and merchandise. Although, like most other loyalty programs, you’ll get a lower value from your points when redeeming them for non-travel related purchases.
CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite – Quick Review
- Aventura points can be redeemed for travel on hundreds of airlines (no blackout dates or seat restrictions)
- New cardholders can get over $1,250 in value including a first year annual fee rebate†
- Cardholders will get a free Priority Pass airport lounge membership with four complimentary passes per year (allows for access to over 1,200 airport lounges worldwide)
- Full rebate on NEXUS membership applications and renewals
- Use your CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Card with Journie Rewards to automatically save up to 10 cents per litre† at participating Pioneer, Fas Gas, Ultramar and Chevron gas stations.†
- Premium travel and rental car collision/theft insurance
- $1,000 in mobile device insurance
- Aventura points must be redeemed on the CIBC rewards website
- Aventura point values are not consistent and fluctuate based on your flight destination – so, working out the exact dollar value of your points isn’t straightforward. At Ratehub, we’ve calculated that the overall average value of 1 Aventura point is $0.0116.
- There’s no ability to transfer Aventura points to other loyalty programs
- High redemption minimum (to redeem points for a flight, you need to have at least 80% of the required points)
The bottom line
Overall, the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite’s new premium features in combination with its stacked welcome bonus has upped the ante when it comes to travel credit cards in Canada. If you’re on the hunt for a well-rounded travel card chock full of benefits, this card should be high on your consideration list.