Mortgage life insurance
Find out what mortgage life insurance is, how it works, and get a free quote from one of our licensed insurance brokers today.get a free quote
How to get mortgage life insurance with Ratehub.ca
Tell us a bit about yourself
Start the process by filling out our request form – life insurance is specific to you, so we'll need a few details to customize your policy.
Speak with an insurance broker
We can connect you with over 20 top providers, so a broker will be in touch to help you choose.
Finalize your policy selection
Depending on your situation, you might need a doctor's note or medical exam. Don't fret – you'll be guided through the entire process.
A few things we're proud of
better choices made
to Canada’s top financial institutions
What is mortgage life insurance?
Matt Hands, VP, Insurance and MoneySense
Buying a house is probably one of the largest investments you’ll make in your lifetime and your mortgage will likely be your biggest annual expense. In the event of your death, your dependents may not be able to afford regular mortgage payments. That’s where mortgage life insurance comes in.
How mortgage life insurance works
Mortgage life insurance pays off or reduces the outstanding principal owed on your mortgage. Your financial institution may offer you the option to purchase mortgage life insurance when you buy a house. Depending on the insurer, you maybe able to get coverage for the total number of listed people on your mortgage - up to eight in some cases. The mortgage life insurance policy is provided to you by a life insurance company and not your financial institution.
Generally, mortgage life insurance will cover all or a set percentage of your outstanding mortgage balance. Financial institutions each have their own maximum insurable limit and you cannot be covered for more than that. If your mortgage were very large, this limit may not cover 100%. Options also exist to put in place mortgage insurance that provides coverage if you lose your job and/or become disabled or very ill. This may also be sold separately as critical illness insurance or disability insurance.
The benefits of mortgage life insurance
Mortgage life insurance isn't always best, but it does have some advantages over a stand-alone policy.
- It’s convenient because your insurance premiums are included with your regular mortgage payments.
- It can be cancelled at any time. If you cancel your coverage within the first 30 days, many financial institutions will refund any premiums you paid.
- If you re-finance your existing mortgage with your existing financial institution, you’re able to keep your coverage even if your health worsens.
- If you have a problem getting individual life insurance because you have a certain condition or illness, mortgage life insurance might be a good alternative.
Get a complimentary mortgage life insurance quote today.
Mortgage life insurance vs. individual life insurance
While there are benefits to mortgage life insurance, there are key differences you should be aware of:
- Your premiums will stay the same but your coverage technically decreases as you pay down your mortgage. If you have a $200,000 mortgage and after five years you’ve paid off $34,000 in principal, then your coverage will fall to $166,000. With regular life insurance, your coverage stays the same.
- If you decide to change your mortgage provider, you’ll lose your coverage. Your insurance isn’t portable and you’ll need to sign up for it again, likelier at a higher rate.
- Your mortgage life insurance is set against your mortgage. If you need more coverage for other things in your life, you cannot get more coverage than your mortgage. With individual life insurance, you have more flexibility to determine how much coverage you purchase and your beneficiaries can use it for any expenses, not just the mortgage.
- The mortgage insurance benefit is paid to the financial institution to pay off the outstanding principal on the mortgage. There is no benefit paid to your beneficiaries.
- In the short term, mortgage life insurance may be less expensive than other types of insurance, but over time it becomes more expensive for the coverage in place. Comparison shop the different types of life insurance to be sure you are getting the coverage you need for the best premium.
As with all things in the world of insurance, the recommended first step is to compare life insurance quotes from multiple companies. We can help you get started in minutes.
Frequently asked mortgage life insurance questions
Is mortgage life insurance worth it?
How do I get mortgage life insurance in Canada?
Can I cancel my mortgage life insurance?
Is mortgage life insurance mandatory?
Is term life insurance better than mortgage life insurance?
Does mortgage life insurance require medical testing?
Matt Hands, Business Director of Insurance
With 6+ years of experience at Ratehub.ca, Matt’s focus has been on growing its newest business unit, Insurance. He is a thought leader and a valuable resource to respected publications across Canada. read more
The knowledge bank
A wealth of knowledge delivered right to your inbox.
Whether you need a mortgage, credit card, savings account, or insurance coverage, we help you find and compare the best financial products for your specific needs.
When it comes to mortgages, Ratehub.ca is more than just a place to research and compare the best rates. Our goal is to give Canadians the best mortgage experience from online search to close. This means offering Canadians the mortgage tools, information and articles to educate themselves, allowing them to get personalized rate quotes from multiple lenders to compare rates instantly, and providing them with the best online application and offline customer service to close their mortgage all in one place.
Ratehub.ca has been named Canada's Mortgage Brokerage of the Year for four years straight (2018-2021). With over 12 years of mortgage experience, and over $11 billion in mortgages funded, we deliver you the best mortgage experience in Canada.
How does Ratehub.ca make money?
Financial institutions pay us for connecting them with customers. This could be through advertisements, or when someone applies or is approved for a product. However, not all products we list are tied to compensation for us. Our industry-leading education centres and calculators are available 24/7, free of charge, and with no obligation to purchase. To learn more, visit our About us page.