If you’re looking to pocket some serious savings on your everyday spending without the hassle of dealing with points or loyalty programs, then the TD Cash Back Visa Infinite could make for a great addition to your wallet.
With 3% cash back on gas, groceries and recurring bills, and 1% on everything else, it’s arguably one of the best credit cards in Canada for household purchases – particularly for families who spend big on restocking the fridge and regularly commute large distances between work, school, and home.
Plus, with an included Roadside Assistance Membership and robust travel insurance coverage, this card delivers considerably more value than just a percentage of your spending back in cash.
For everything you need to know about the TD Cash Back Visa Infinite Card, read our full review below.
TD Cash Back Visa Infinite Card – At a glance
- Annual fee: $120 (rebated for first year)
- Welcome Offer: Earn 6% cash back on eligible purchases for first 3 months (on up to a total spend of $2,000). After your first $2,000 in purchases, gas purchases, grocery purchases and pre-authorized payments will continue to earn 6% up to a total spend of $3,500 for the first 3 months. Offer ends May 29, 2022.
- Once offer ends, get 3% cash back on gas, groceries and recurring bills
- Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases
- Complimentary roadside assistance and travel insurance benefits
- This offer is not available for residents of Quebec.
- †Terms and conditions apply
Tell us a bit about yourself
Answer some questions so we can personalize our recommendations - this won't impact your credit score
Check your eligibility
We confirm your eligibility with our partner, TransUnion. This will be a ‘soft credit check’ which you can see but lenders cannot
Find your perfect matches
We show you the cards you’re most likely to want and most likely to get
As a new TD Cash Back Visa Infinite cardholder, you’ll earn 6% cash back on all your card purchases for the first three months or on your initial $2,000 in spending. After your first $2,000 in purchases, gas purchases, grocery purchases and pre-authorized payments will continue to earn 6% up to a total spend of $3,500 for the first 3 months. Add to that the fact the annual fee is rebated for the first year for the Primary and Additional Cardholders, and you’ll reap some serious upfront savings. One important note: to receive the first-year annual rebate fee, you must activate your card and make your first purchase on the account within the first 3 months. Offer ends May 29, 2022.
Cash back rewards
Earn cash back on household spending
Once the aforementioned welcome offer ends, this card will earn you 3% cash back on gas, groceries, and recurring bills. For all other purchases, you’ll earn a flat 1%.
3% cash back in three different spending categories is compelling, especially when accounting for the fact that there is no cap to how much cash back you can earn.
What really sets the TD Cash Back Visa Infinite apart is the fact it offers 3% on recurring bills, which is one of the highest returns for this spending category in the credit card market. When factoring for everything from your monthly internet and phone bills to cable, Netflix and other subscription services, the savings potential for this bonus category is considerable. In order to reap the 3% cash back rate for bills, you’ll need to set up your bills as automatically recurring payments. So, be sure to monitor your monthly spending to ensure these payments are manageable and don’t lead you to carry a balance.
Redeem as you go
A unique benefit of this card is its flexible redemption structure, as you can apply your cash back rewards to your credit card statement at anytime once you earn a minimum of $25. This is in sharp contrast to many other cash back cards, which reimburse your rewards on a fixed monthly or annual schedule.
Roadside assistance and rental car benefits
Along with its strong 3% cash back rate on gas, another factor that ups this card’s appeal with car owners is the included TD Auto Club Membership. This complimentary benefit includes towing services and 24/7 roadside assistance to help you get back on the road during emergencies, such as when your car battery dies or require a tire change. Best of all, it means you can avoid having to pay $100 out of pocket for an annual CCA membership.
For occasions when you need to rent a car, using this credit card will entitle you to discounts of up to 10% from Avis and Budget locations in Canada and the U.S., and 5% internationally. Plus, you’ll be able to take advantage of free collision and damage insurance on the rental car provided you decline the coverage offered by the rental agency.
While the TD Cash Back Visa Infinite isn’t a travel credit card, it does offer insurance benefits that’ll keep you covered when you leave your province’s borders.
For one, you’ll get up to $2,000,000 in travel medical insurance for you and your family for 10 consecutive days (or 4 days for seniors). If you face a situation where your luggage is lost or delayed for at least 6 hours by a common carrier, such as an airline, you’ll be covered up to $1,000 per person. Lastly, you’ll have access to TD’s emergency services hotline to provide support in case you face an emergency while abroad.
Fees, interest and income requirements
Similar to other TD credit cards, the TD Cash Back Visa Infinite has an annual fee of $120, which is slightly higher than the $99 annual fee charged by some other premium cash back cards. Thanks to its strong welcome offer and high cash back rate on everyday purchases however, this card is set up to deliver considerably more value than it costs to carry. This is particularly true for families who have to spend on groceries or regularly commute long distances.
If you do bank with TD, you could have the card’s annual fee rebated by opening a TD All-Inclusive Account. Although, it’s important to highlight you’ll need to keep a minimum balance of $5,000 in this account for it to make financial sense, as you’ll be charged $30 per month the moment you drop below that threshold. If $5,000 is too steep of a minimum balance for you to maintain, consider biting the bullet and paying the card’s annual fee – you’ll still walk away with considerable bang for your buck.
The TD Cash Back Visa Infinite also has an annual percentage rate (APR) of 20.99% for purchases and 22.99% for balance transfers and cash advances. As is the case with most rewards cards, it’ll cost you to carry a balance and you should aim to use this card to earn cash back on purchases that you can afford to pay off in full at the end of each month.
Income requirements are standard for a premium card as well, as you’ll need an individual income of $60,000 or household income of $100,000 in order to qualify.
Between its free Roadside Assistance Membership, flexible redemption options and strong cash back rate on recurring bills, there’s plenty that sets the TD Cash Back Visa Infinite apart from other cards. However, if none of these factors are as important to you as saving on gas and groceries, there are a handful of top cash back and travel credit cards that do deliver an objectively higher return on those two spending categories.
TD Cash Back Visa Infinite Card – Quick review
- The welcome offer lets you earn 6% cash back on all your everyday purchases for the first three months (on up to a total spend of $2,000). After your first $2,000 in purchases, gas purchases, Grocery Purchases and pre-authorized payments will continue to earn 6% up to a total spend of $3,500 for the first 3 months. Expires May 29, 2022
- Once the above welcome offer ends, this card offers 3% cash back on recurring bills, gas, and groceries
- Cardholders will get a Deluxe TD Auto Club Membership for free, which includes towing and emergency roadside assistance
- You can redeem cash back flexibly at anytime once you earn a minimum of $25
- This card offers travel medical emergency and lost/delayed baggage insurance
- You can take advantage of rental car insurance discounts of up to 10% and free rental car insurance
- The $120 annual fee is marginally higher than the $99 annual fee charged by some other premium cash back cards
- While 3% cash back on gas and groceries is a strong earn rate, there are a handful of other credit cards in Canada that do offer a higher per-dollar return on those same two categories