If you live in Toronto, and frequently get around the city via Uber, you might be happy to hear you can now earn Starpoints whenever you need a lift. Starwood Hotels & Resorts and Uber have teamed up to give Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) members the opportunity to earn Starpoints during any ride in an Uber car.
“When we looked at how to make the Uber experience even better for our millions of riders worldwide, a partnership with Starwood was a natural fit. There’s a Starwood property in the majority of the 291 cities where Uber operates,” said Travis Kalanick, CEO of Uber. “With this first-of-its-kind partnership, SPG members can now get an extra reward for taking an Uber anytime anywhere.”
The math is simple: when you link up your SPG member number to your Uber account, you’ll earn 1 Starpoint per $1 spent with Uber. However, if you link up your Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express to your Uber account, which gives you 1 Starpoint per $1 spent on the card, you could earn a total of 2 Starpoints for every $1 spent on rides with Uber.
Starpoints can be redeemed for flights, but the reason most people become SPG members is so they can earn free hotel stays. Since accommodation is one of the most expensive costs on any trip, this travel rewards credit card can help you save some serious cash. And with its 20,000-point sign-up bonus offer, you can see why it’s one of the best credit cards in Canada.
- $120 annual fee
- Earn one Starpoint per dollar spent
- Receive 20,000 bonus Starpoints after you make $1,500 in the first three months
- Enjoy a Free Weekend Night Award when you reach $40,000 in purchases each year
More details on the SPG Credit Card from American Express:
- Experience Starwood Gold Preferred Guest status when you reach $30,000 in purchases each year
- Redeem Starpoints for Free Nights with no blackout dates at over 1,200 of the world’s most desired hotels in nearly 100 countries
- Use Starpoints for flights on over 150 airlines with no blackout dates with SPG Flights
- When you redeem Starpoints, they cover all taxes and service charges
- Annual interest rate 19.99% on purchases and 21.99% on funds advances
- Minimum individual income of $15,000