Have you ever arrived at your destination and found that your baggage hasn’t arrived with you? In the time it takes for the airline to locate your luggage and deliver it to you, you may have incurred some additional expenses such as clothing and toiletries. This is when credit card travel insurance can come in handy.
Delayed baggage insurance will reimburse you for any necessary expenses you have as a result of a delay in getting your luggage. Many credit cards offer delayed baggage insurance and you’ll receive coverage when you book your travel with your card.
Here’s a look at two credit cards that offer delayed baggage insurance:
Scotiabank®* Gold American Express® Card
earn up to $650 in value in the first 12 months, including up to 40,000 bonus Scene+ points. Must apply by July 1, 2024.
- Maximum reimbursement of $1,000 per trip if checked baggage isn’t delivered within four hours
- Items must be purchased within 96 hours of your flight’s arrival and before your luggage arrives
If you booked your travel with the Scotiabank Gold American Express credit card, you’re eligible to receive up to $1,000 per trip for delayed baggage. If you find yourself in the position where your luggage is delayed and you must purchase essential items, you may be reimbursed for expenses that occur within 96 hours of arrival and before your luggage arrives. In order to receive coverage, you’ll be asked to provide a copy of your credit card slip, account statement showing the charge to your card, itemized receipts for actual expenses incurred for essential items, and a written statement from the common carrier (an airline, for example) detailing the incident.
- Cash Bonus offer
BMO Ascend™ World Elite®* Mastercard®*
Welcome offer: Get up to 70,000 points and the annual fee waived in the first year for both the primary cardholder and authorized users.*
- You can be reimbursed up to $200 per person and up to $2,000 per trip if checked baggage is delayed by more than 12 hours
- Items must be purchased before the luggage is returned and no later than 36 hours after your arrival
If you booked your travel with the BMO World Elite MasterCard, you’re covered in the event that your baggage is delayed. You can receive up to $200 per person and up to $2,000 per trip for expenses that you may incur as a result of delayed baggage. Be aware that the coverage only extends to purchases made within 36 hours of arriving at your destination and before your luggage arrives. Your MasterCard insurance provider will ask you to provide the original claim determination from the common carrier, original itemized receipts, and a statement from your common carrier detailing the incident.
- Trip Cancellation Insurance: You’re Covered With These Card
- Extended Warranty Insurance: You’re Covered With These Card
- Purchase Security Insurance: You’re Covered With These Cards
Flickr: friend JAD