The Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express has doubled the value of its sign-up bonus for new applicants. Instead of receiving 10,000 bonus Starpoints after you charge $1,500 in purchases to this travel rewards credit card in the first three months, you’ll receive 20,000 bonus Starpoints. Based on Ratehub.ca’s calculations, since the average value of 1 Starpoint = $0.0223, the original sign-up bonus was already worth $223 – so now it’s worth $446, depending on when and what you redeem your points for.
The SPG program is one of the most popular rewards programs for frequent travellers. SPG rewards points, also known as Starpoints, can be redeemed for flights and trains, but the reason most people become Starwood members is so they can redeem points for free hotel stays. If you find that accommodation is one of the most expensive costs on your trips, this credit card can help you save big. And the incredible value of this new bonus makes it one of the best credit cards in Canada.
More details on the SPG Credit Card from American Express:
- Earn 20,000 bonus Starpoints® after you charge $1,500 in purchases to your Card in your first three months
- Earn 1 Starpoint for every $1 in purchases charged to the card
- Enjoy a Free Weekend Night Award when you reach $40,000 in purchases each year
- Experience Starwood Gold Preferred Guest status when you reach $30,000 in purchases each year
- Redeem Starpoints for Free Nights with no blackout dates at over 1,200 of the world’s most desired hotels in nearly 100 countries
- Use Starpoints for flights on over 150 airlines with no blackout dates with SPG Flights
- When you redeem Starpoints, they cover all taxes and service charges
- Experience once-in-a-lifetime events with SPG Moments
- American Express InvitesTM opens the door to great music, theatre, dining, film, fashion and shopping experiences. Be among the first to know, and among the first to go!
- $120 annual fee
- Annual interest rate 19.99% on purchases and 21.99% on funds advances