Overview of the Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card
On up to 3 categories of your choice10%
On everyday purchases up to $100* as a welcome offer
Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card details
- Welcome bonus
- earn an extra 10% back on up to $1,000 in everyday purchases within the first 2 months. Must apply by April 30, 2024.
- Annual fee
- Earn 2% on up to 3 categories of your choice, 10% on everyday purchases up to $100* as a welcome offer
- Average point value
- Balance transfer offer
- 1.95% per month for the first 6 months
- Purchase interest rate
- Cash advance interest rate
- Balance transfer interest rate
- Minimum income
- Household income
- Any amount
- Recommended credit score
- Card type
- Cash back
Detailed card summary
Benefits & features
- Ratehub.ca’s 2023 Award Winner – Best No Fee Cash Back Credit Card
- Life’s back in session. Enjoy it with an extra 10% back.*
- Apply for a Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card by April 30, 2024 and earn an extra 10% back (up to $100) when you spend up to $1,000 in everyday purchases within your first 2 months.*
- Earn 2% Money-Back Rewards on purchases in two 2% Money-Back Categories of your choice, and 0.50% Money-Back Rewards on all other purchases.
- Earn extra rewards – have your Money-Back Rewards deposited into a Tangerine Savings Account, and get a 3rd 2% Money-Back Category.
- No limit on the amount of Money-Back Rewards you can earn.
- Change your 2% Money-Back Categories to suit your spending.
How to redeem
Credit to statement balance, or savings account, monthly
How to get approved
- Minimum income $12K/yr
- Household income Any
- Recommended credit score 660+
- You are a permanent Canadian resident and have reached the age of majority in the province in which you live.
Average user score for Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card
4.5 | 23 reviews
I got this credit card before traveling to the USA because of the great exchange rate. I was also able to receive great cash back perks on gas during our travels. They approved me for a great limit and I feel comfortable traveling knowing that I have a back up plan.
Very convenient to apply and have good cash back. Will recommend to a friend
It is a good credit card overall with a generous money back policy, especially for the first 90 days where rewards are doubled. However, the additional insurances (travel, car,...) offered on the card are limited or non existent.
I found the experience to be quite seamless. I have been using the tangerine credit card for 3 weeks with no problems. But if it wasn’t for the free amazon gift card I don’t think I would of got it
the credit card looks great.the cashback is awesome.
I have good service
While the fact that the Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card is a no annual fee card, what really sets this card apart is the customizability. With this card, you can choose your own bonus categories (which will earn you a strong cash back rate of 2% per dollar spent). This is rare in the credit card market and means you can avoid being locked into a bonus category that you can’t take full advantage of or that doesn’t align with your spending habits.
- Customizable bonus categories: Flexibility to pick up to three bonus categories to earn 2% cash back on (out of a total of 10 options), which is in sharp contrast to most other cards where you have fixed bonus categories that you have no control over. Users are also given the freedom to change the bonus categories at any time (changes will take up to 90 days to come into effect)
- High cash back earning rate: 2% cash back per dollar on bonus categories is one of the richest earn rates for a no-fee card
- Wide acceptance: Widely accepted almost everywhere including No Frills and Costco
- Additional cards at no cost: Free supplementary cards for authorized users
- Frequent cash back reimbursement: Cash back is refunded on a monthly basis, instead of the standard annual reimbursement
- Limited cash back for non-bonus categories: For all purchases that aren’t categorized under one of your chosen bonus categories, you’ll earn just 0.5% cash back
- Limited travel insurance and perks: No travel medical insurance or any substantial side perks
Applicants must apply for the Card and must consent to a credit check. Accounts must be in Good Standing in order to receive Money-Back Rewards. See the Tangerine Money-Back Rewards Program Terms & Conditions for full details.
Balance Transfers are treated as Cash Advances and interest applies from the transaction date that appears on your monthly statement to the date you repay the balance in full. There is no interest-free grace period on Cash Advances or Balance Transfers.
Annual Interest Rates: The annual interest rate on Purchases and Cash Advances (including Balance Transfers) is 19.95%. Rates are subject to change. If you don’t make 2 consecutive monthly Minimum Payments, or at any time thereafter, an interest rate of 24.95% will apply to your Account on Purchases and Cash Advances (including Balance Transfers).
Other Fees and Rates: These fees are charged on the day the transaction occurs (unless otherwise indicated): Cash Advance: $3.50 within Canada, $5 outside of Canada; Balance Transfer: 3% or minimum of $5 (unless reduced or waived) of the amount transferred when it is posted to your Account. Dishonoured Payment: $25; Rush Card: $25; Over-Limit: $25 (maximum one Over-Limit charge per monthly statement period); Past Statement Reprint: $5 per past statement. There is no charge for a reprint of your current monthly statement. Foreign Currency Conversion: When the converted transaction amount gets posted to your Account, we’ll add a foreign currency conversion fee of 2.50% to the converted transaction amount.
See your Information Box in the application for full details. Rates and fees are subject to change.
*Rewards Promotional Offer:
The Tangerine 10% Limited Time Promotional Offer (the “Offer”) is only available to new Tangerine Credit Card Account holders who (i) apply for a Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card (the “Account”) by April 30, 2024, (ii) activate their Account within 45 days of approval, and (iii) have up to a maximum of $1,000 in total Net Purchases posted to their Account within the 60-day period beginning on the date the Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card is activated. “Net Purchases” include purchases charged to the Account (less any refunds, returns or other similar credits) but do not include payments, Cash Advances (including Balance Transfers and Cash-Like Transactions), interest, fees, insurance premiums, adjustments or other charges. The Offer Bonus of 15% (up to $150) will be credited to the Primary Cardholder’s Account within 1-2 statement cycles after the 60-day promotional period provided the Account is open and in Good Standing at time of payout. Limit of one Offer per eligible Client. This Offer is non-transferable. Offer may be changed, cancelled or extended at any time. All other Account terms, including the Tangerine Money-Back Rewards program terms, remain unchanged and continue to apply. See the Tangerine Credit Card Cardholder Agreement for more details, including definitions of any capitalized terms.
†Balance Transfer Promotional Offer at 1.95% for 6 months (1% Balance Transfer Fee)
A Promotional Interest Rate of 1.95% will apply immediately to any and all Balance Transfers made within 30 days of the Account opening, and will remain in effect for 6 Statement Periods from the date the last such Balance Transfer was posted to the Account (the “Promotional Rate Period”). If you still have an amount owing from your Balance Transfer when the Promotional Rate Period ends, the Cash Advance interest rate (currently 19.95%) will apply to that balance. A 1% Balance Transfer Fee will be charged on each Balance Transfer amount and will be immediately charged to your Credit Card. This Balance Transfer Fee is waived by Tangerine if you are a resident of the province of Québec at the time you accept this offer. To take advantage of this Promotional Offer, you must complete the Balance Transfer request within 30 days of Account approval. You must also activate your Card within 45 days of Account approval for the requested Balance Transfer to be processed, or the Balance Transfer will be automatically cancelled. Note that if your Balance Transfer amount(s) equal your available credit, then the Balance Transfer Fee will put your Account over your credit limit and may be rejected in whole or in part. Balance Transfers are treated as Cash Advances on your Card and do not have an interest-free grace period. Interest applies from the transaction date that appears on your statement for that Balance Transfer to the date you repay the Balance Transfer in full. It may take a few business days to complete the Balance Transfer request. You should continue to make payments to the other financial institution until the Balance Transfer appears on your statement. You must continue to make the Minimum Payments on your Account, regardless of whether the Balance Transfer has been processed to your Account. Interest does not accrue on the Balance Transfer Fee, however it is included in the Minimum Payment amount on your monthly statement. You must continue to make all of your monthly Minimum Payments by the Payment Due Dates shown on your monthly statements. If you don’t make your Minimum Payment by the payment due date as shown on 2 consecutive statements, your interest rate will increase to your higher standard rate that applies to the Account (currently 24.95%). If you pay more than your Minimum Payment on your statement, we’ll apply the excess amount of the payment to your balance proportionately based on the interest rate(s) applicable to each group of charges billed on your Account. Please see the Credit Card Cardholder Agreement for more information on how we apply payments to your Account.
We don’t charge interest on new Purchases that appear on your statement for the first time if we receive full payment of the Balance on your statement (including payment of any Balance Transfers included in that Balance), by the Payment Due Date on your statement. Balance Transfers may not be used to transfer money to or from another Tangerine Account. See the Information Box at tangerine.ca/creditcardlegal for full details.
Cash Advances (including Balance Transfers) do not earn Tangerine Money-Back Rewards. See the terms and conditions of the Tangerine Money-Back Rewards Program at Tangerine.ca/CreditCardLegal for full details on other items that do not earn Tangerine Money-Back Rewards.
Any of these offers may be changed or cancelled at any time without notice. Rates and fees are subject to change.
Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.
Tangerine is a registered trademark of The Bank of Nova Scotia, used under licence.
Forward Banking is a registered trademark of Tangerine Bank.