Overview of the MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus® Mastercard®
On eligible restaurant, grocery, digital media, membership and household utility purchases1 point/$1
On other purchases
MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus® Mastercard® details
- Welcome offer
- 10,000 bonus points ($100 value)
- Annual fee
- Earn 4x points on eligible restaurant, grocery, digital media, membership and household utility purchases, 1x points on other purchases
- Average point value
- Purchase interest rate
- Cash advance interest rate
- Balance transfer interest rate
- Minimum income
- Any amount
- Household income
- Any amount
- Recommended credit score
- Card type
Detailed card summary
Benefits & features
- This offer is not available for residents of Quebec. For residents of Quebec, please click here.
- Earn 4 points†† for every $1 spent on eligible restaurant, grocery, digital media, membership and household utility purchases during the first 90 days , and 2 points‡ for every $1 spent on eligible purchases in those categories thereafter – in both cases, these earn rates apply until $10,000 is spent annually in the applicable category. 1 point‡ for every $1 spent on all other eligible purchases
- 5,000 bonus points†† ($25 in cash back value) after you make $500 or more in eligible purchases within the first 90 days of your account opening
- 5,000 bonus points††($25 in cash back value) once enrolled for paperless e-statements within the first 90 days of account opening
- Each year, you will receive Birthday Bonus Points‡ equal to 10% of the total number of Points earned in the 12 months before the month of your birthday, to a maximum Birthday Bonus each year of 10,000 Points
- Redeem points‡ for cash back, brand-name merchandise, gift cards from participating retailers, charitable donations, and travel.
- Standard Annual Interest Rates of 19.99% on purchases, 22.99% on balance transfers✪ and 24.99% on cash advances
- Mobile Device Insurance***
- With Mobile Device Insurance, you’ve got up to $1,000 in coverage for eligible mobile devices in the event of loss, theft, accidental damage or mechanical breakdown No annual fee
Apply for the MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus® Mastercard®.
- Sponsored advertising. MBNA is a division of The Toronto-Dominion Bank (TD) and TD is not responsible for the contents of this site including any editorials or reviews that may appear on this site. For complete information on this MBNA credit card, please click on the “Get More Details” button
How to redeem
Redeem your points through MBNA Rewards with no flight or date restrictions
How to get approved
- Minimum income Any
- Household income Any
- Recommended credit score 660+
- You are a permanent Canadian resident and have reached the age of majority in the province in which you live.
Average user score for MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus® Mastercard®
4.5 | 6 reviews
Like the low interest rate
this card did all of my christmas shopping and at the time I didn’t have all the money to pay for all of my gifts up front with a debit card due to financial situations, but the mastercard that I received helped me buy gifts for my kids and for my family and I will continue to use this card always even if it’s just for every day purchases because the rates are so low! applying for a master card was probably one of the best things I’ve ever done and as I said before I will always use it!!
Awesome crédit card, I get approbation and the card délivrer at home in a week.
The process was a little bit convoluted and took a few weeks to get the card. The verification process involves getting a letter to say that you are getting the card, then a second letter to go to the post office to get the card. It’s a little inconvenient.
LA DEMANDE SEST TRES BIEN PASSÉ. JAI EU UNE REPONSE RAPIDE ET ON A TRES BIEN REPONDU A TOUS MES QUESTION , JE RECOMMANDE CETTE CARTE A TOUS LES GENS QUI ONT EN BESOIN DUNE DANS LES PROCHAIN TEMPS.
Awesome crédit card
The MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus manages to punch above its weight, offering impressive rewards on everyday spending despite the fact it has no annual fee or any specific income requirements.
The MBNA Points program is also flexible and easy-to-understand, making it a perfect fit for points beginners or anyone who doesn’t want to deal with elaborate rewards charts or maps. The drawbacks: the card doesn’t offer much in the form of perks or travel emergency insurance and comes with rewards caps that can put a ceiling (albeit a mostly negligible one) on your ability to rack up bonus points.
MBNA Rewards Platinum Platinum – Quick review
- The MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus has no annual fee.
- It earns up to 4 points per dollar spent (2% in travel rewards) on eligible restaurant, grocery, digital media, membership and household utility purchases during the first 90 days , and 2 points‡ for every $1 spent on eligible purchases in those categories thereafter – in both cases, these earn rates apply until $10,000 is spent annually in the applicable category.
- You’ll earn at least 1 point per dollar (1% in travel rewards) on all other everyday purchases. In comparison, many other no fee rewards cards start earning rewards from as little 0.5%.
- MBNA points values are easy to calculate. 1 point = 1 cent when redeemed for travel, or 1 point = 1% in travel rewards.
- You can redeem MBNA points from virtually any airline of your choice.
- Aside from travel rewards, MBNA points also offer great value on gift card redemptions (1 point = around 0.8 – 0.9 cents on gift cards).
- The card doesn’t come with any specific income requirements.
- Cardholders will receive mobile device insurance, purchase assurance and extended warranty benefits.
- As a Mastercard, the MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus is accepted virtually everywhere.
- There is an annual spend cap on bonus categories. You’ll earn 4x the points eligible restaurant, grocery, digital media, membership and household utility purchases during the first 90 days, and 2 points‡ for every $1 spent on eligible purchases in those categories thereafter – in both cases, these earn rates apply until $10,000 is spent – after which you’ll earn the standard 1 point per dollar.
- You must use MBNA Rewards’ proprietary website when redeeming points, which means you can’t use points to book travel directly from an airline or hotel provider.
Everyday earn rate
The MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus lets you rack up points faster than virtually any other no annual fee travel credit card in Canada.
- 4 points per dollar on eligible restaurant, grocery, digital media, membership and household utility purchases during the first 90 day, and 2 points‡ for every $1 spent on eligible purchases in those categories thereafter – in both cases, these earn rates apply until $10,000 is spent annually in the applicable category
- 1 point per dollar on everything else
When considering most rival no fee travel credit cards will earn you the equivalent of 0.5 to 1 point per dollar on everyday purchases, the MBNA Rewards Platinum really manages to stand out.
Here’s a break down how much you can earn on the credit card based on an average monthly spending scenario of $1,500 in the following categories:
|Spending Category||Monthly Spending|
|Total rewards after 1 year||$266|
There is a small caveat worth calling out, however: the bonus categories have an annual spending cap. You’ll earn 4 points per dollar on the first 90 days on on eligible restaurant, grocery, digital media, membership and household utility purchases. If you spend over $1,000 within a year in a particular category, like say groceries, you’ll earn 1 point per dollar on any grocery purchases from $5,001 and beyond till the end of the year.
While the annual spending caps are a drawback, there’s some silver lining.
- For one, the caps are set reasonably high at $10,000 annually, which means they won’t come into effect at all unless you spend an average of over $415 per month on groceries, gas, or dining. In other words, you’ll likely earn double the points on all or the vast majority of your spending in bonus categories.
- Secondly, even if you do hit the cap, you’ll still continue to earn rewards on bonus categories but just at a slightly lower rate of 1 point per dollar. That’s still a solid rewards rate that manages to out-earn most other no fee travel credit cards in Canada.
- Finally, the cap resets every year.
MBNA Points redemption
Points value overview
|Avg. value of 1 point||Avg. value of 10,000 points|
|Gift cards||Avg. 0.8 – 09 cents||Avg. $80-$90|
|Cash credits||0.5 cents||$50|
|Merchandise||Avg. 0.7 cents||Avg. $70|
MBNA Rewards is first and foremost a travel points program, which means you’ll get the most value out of each MBNA point when redeeming for travel rewards including:
- Vacation packages
- Hotel stays
- Car rentals
You’ll get a return of 1 cent per point (the equivalent of 1% cash back in travel savings) when using points for any of those aforementioned travel rewards. You can start redeeming for travel in increments of as little as 100 points, so you won’t have to rack a giant pile of points before you can start putting them to good use. You’ll also have the flexibility to book travel from virtually any airline, and won’t be resurrected to a limited number of partner carriers or worry about seat restrictions, black out dates or elaborate rewards charts.
There is a drawback though. You must use MBNA’s proprietary travel search engine and can’t price match or apply points against purchases you made on your own directly from an airline, hotel, or travel provider.
For gift cards
If you want to use points for rewards other than travel, you can get some pretty solid value when redeeming for gift cards.
On average, you’ll get around 0.8 to 0.9 cents per point on gift cards, which is only slightly less than what you’d typically get out of your points on travel rewards. That’s impressive, especially when considering some other points programs offer a quarter or even half as much value on gift card rewards versus travel redemptions.
The MBNA Rewards website includes quite a large catalogue of physical gift card and e-gift card options including: Amazon, Walmart, Wayfair, Home Depot, Hudson’s Bay, eBay, Uber, and more.
For cash credits
When using points for cash credits to pay off your credit card balance, you can redeem points in increments of 200 points for $1. That works out to 0.5 cents per point, which is half the value you’d get when using points for travel (1 cent) and about half what you’d get on gift card redemptions (0.8-0.9 cents).
When redeeming points for cash credits, you’ll also need to have at least 10,000 points accumulated.
All things considered, it’s better to use points for travel or gift cards, and if you’re looking for rewards to reduce your balance, a straight-up cash back credit card may be a better option.
The value of your points when redeeming for merchandise can vary considerably, depending on the item in question. Overall though, you’ll usually get around 0.7 cent per point. So if you’re planning on using points for non-travel rewards, it’s probably better to go the gift card route over redeeming for a specific item.
MBNA Rewards’s online merchandise catalogue is quite vast and covers virtually every product line – from electronics and toys to kitchen appliance and jewelry.
Fees, income requirements, and more
One of the best features of the MBNA Platinum Plus is its low barrier to entry – there are no annual fees and you won’t need to meet a specific income to get approved.
As per usual for a rewards credit card, you won’t owe any interest if you pay off your balance on time and in full every month, but if you do carry a balance from one month to the next, an annual purchase interest rate of 19.99% will kick in. Annual interest rates on cash advances is 24.99% while balance transfers is set at 22.99%, which is about average.
Side perks and insurance
Along with the basic coverage of purchase protection and extended warranties (up to one year) available on most credit card, the MBNA Platinum Plus also comes with purchase assurance.
With purchase assurance, most items you bought on your credit card will be covered in the event they’re damaged, lost or stolen within 90 days of the transaction date up to a lifetime value of $60,000. Note though, some items are excluded included art, jewellery, consumable goods, and several electronics.
The card also comes with three other major types of insurance including:
- Common carrier accidental death and dismemberment insurance: up to $1,000,000)
- Trip cancellation insurance / unexpected return home: up to $2,000
- Rental collision/damage waiver insurance: including up to $2,000 in personal effects coverage
The card’s rental car insurance, in particular, stands out for also offering personal effects coverage, which means if your rental car is stolen and some of your personal belongings along with it, you’ll receive some compensation for your belongings.
The one major drawback of the card’s insurance coverage is it doesn’t include any travel medical emergency coverage (e.g. coverage of healthcare bills if you’re sick while abroad), lost or delayed baggage insurance, or trip cancellation insurance. All things considered though, these benefits are rarely offered by other entry-level fee credit cards.
The MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus easily takes the top spot in our rankings as the best no fee travel card in Canada, and is an easy choice if you’re looking for an entry-level rewards card that costs nothing to carry and can help get a seat on a free or discounted flight faster.
‡, ††, ✪, ***, Terms and Conditions apply.
This offer is not available for residents of Quebec. For residents of Quebec, please click here.
Sponsored advertising. MBNA is a division of The Toronto-Dominion Bank (TD) and TD is not responsible for the contents of this site including any editorials or reviews that may appear on this site. For complete information on this MBNA credit card, please click on the “Apply Now” button.
The Toronto-Dominion Bank is the issuer of this credit card. MBNA is a division of The Toronto-Dominion Bank. ®MBNA and other-trademarks are the property of The Toronto-Dominion Bank.
Find the best credit cards without impacting your credit score
Apply with confidence. In under 60 seconds, CardFinder narrows down your top matches without impacting your credit score, no SIN required.